Rookie questions

andrewl1963

New elf
Hi all. I have a Pixlite 16 but am waiting on Ray Wu to send out some RGB pixels to have a play with it so in the meantime I thought I would run a DMX line out to a AAHMEGA60 board and run some dumb RGB stripes.
So, I set up DMX output 1 to Universe 2 in the Advatek assistant and set start channel on the MEGA60 to 1 but i get nothing from a small sequence i created in Vixen 3.2.

Can I assume that this side of setup is as it should be and my issue is most likely how I am patching the strips in Vixen?

I'm afraid this is my first foray into this and I am waiting on things to "click" and make a little more sense.

Cheers

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
The first thing I would do is use a simpler program to send some test sACN data. Maybe xLights or the DaE1.31 software. Both of those applications are simple to setup universe 2 and send some test data with. If it works with them, then it's a setup/patching problem in Vixen.

If you have trouble with that though, you should double check you've wired the DMX connection correctly as per the user manual.

andrewl1963

New elf
Thanks Luke. I've tried with Xlights and still get nothing.

So, back to basics. I believe both the Pixlite (3.4) and the Mega60 come pre-wired for DMS? I'm using a standard ethernet patch cable. Set the DMX out on the Pixlite to Universe 2 Mega60 start address is 1.

Am I missing something?

ltay13

Full time elf
Hi Andrew,

On that revision of the PixLite 16 controller the DMX outputs use the "ESTA" wiring standard. Have you checked the Mega 60 is setup to accept an ESTA style input?

andrewl1963

New elf
Hi Luke.
Have checked the jumpers and yes, set for ESTA. Used the onboard test function of the Mega60 and confirmed the led strips are wired correctly and they light up so no issues there either.

Other than turning on the DMX output within the Advatek assistant is there anything more that I need to do there?

ltay13

Full time elf
Hi Andrew,

In terms of configuration of the PixLite you just have to turn it on (slider goes blue) and set the universe number you want to output. So if you set the universe number to 2 you would send on E1.31 universe number 2 to control the board.

The only thing I can think is that the controller isn't receiving what your sending with xLights, it would be easy to tell if you had pixels to light up but without that it's a bit in the blind. If you give us a call we can walk through your config on the phone to triple check if you like? (03) 8400 4566

Otherwise is there an LED on the Mega 60 that indicates DMX activity? I don't have one myself. Maybe someone else can chime in there. The PixLite would send DMX values of off without valid data coming from xLights, would be good to know if the Mega 60 is receiving a signal at all.

andrewl1963

New elf
Thanks Luke. I will wait for the pixels to turn up and then I might take you up on your offer to call if I still can't get any output.

Cheers

andrewl1963

New elf
Luke,

I have switched to Xlights, plugged in both dumb nodes to the Mega60 and RGB pixels to the Pixlite. Using the test function I can generate output to all the light in one fashion or another but when running a sequence through DMX to the Mega I get no response.

If your offer still stands I might give you a call.

gerry

Senior elf
Andrew,

If it is 'working' through the xl test function , but not via the sequencer , that points to probably a channel definition error in your model definition .
First - what did you mean by 'in one fashion or another' ?

Post a screen shot of your setup tab and identify which channels / universes are working via the xl test function.
Then post the model config of the model that corresponds to those channels.

andrewl1963

New elf
Hi Gerry.

"One fashion or another" referred to the sequence of the tests starting at output 2 on the Pixlite then channel 1 which I don't understand. The dumb pixels certainly light up under test output.

One of the tutorials somewhere advised this set up as a starting point so that what I did.

At this stage I actually wasn't going to run anything from the Pixlite, I just wanted it to convert the E1.31 to a DMX output to run a basic seven channel singing Halloween face I made.

Attachments

• Screenshot1.docx
    165.9 KB · Views: 22

gerry

Senior elf
Hi Andrew,

I have not used the definition method that you have used.

When u used the xl test function , did setting channel 511 on work ?

can you clone that model (copy model) and change the new model to be start channel 511 , from output 1 and then set the channels to On within the seq ?

Also , try with white as your color and make sure that white is selected for the Color on the sequence - if the color does not match your definition , then it wont turn on.

I assume that you have upgraded to the latest firmware on the Pixlite , since u are using output 2 ..

andrewl1963

New elf
Thanks for the assistance Gerry.

I've only just started my foray into lighting so thanks for your patience.

I've updated the firmware (didn't know 1.4.8 was released) but that has made no difference.

Have now set colour to white which has changed everything to white when in test mode but otherwise no difference.

[attachimg=1]

Made a copy of the model and changed to output from ch 511 but still no sign of life.

I'm stumped.

Attachments

• Screenshot4.docx
    192.4 KB · Views: 8

gerry

Senior elf
Hello Andrew,

So , with you latest setup , you turn 511 on , on the setup page and one channel of the face turns on , but not when you play via the sequencer ? And you have clicked the 'Output to lights' button (ie the bulb) on the sequencer tab when doing this ?

can u please zip your xlights_* files (3) and your xml seq file and post them here and I will try and have a look.