Rope lights turning brown!

ali

New elf
I have just pulled some of my lights out of storage, and found that a number of the motifs now have a brown discolouration to the white rope light areas...
They were fine when I packed them up in January, but now are looking really bad!!

Does anyone know why this has occurred? And/ or how to clean it off?
Thanks!

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
could be a number of different reasons, ranging from condensation inside, oxidisation or just cheap plastic that has clouded after last season.

I have some professional ropelights used for television / entertainment style businesses and even those still had the same effects, some worse then others

Benslights

Dedicated elf
ali have you powered the lights to see if it makes a difference??? as in most cases it does not and I would not worry about it.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I have had lots of rope lights over the years and they all went brown over time. But as YG said, turn them on and at night you won't notice the brown.
I have had a white Xmas tree in the garden for the last two seasons and it is turning yellows/brown also. I have added four more this year which are nice and white compared to old yella. But at night once the lights glow, it's hard to tell a difference.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I dare say these were bought cheap from either EBay or somewhere else that sells very cheap lighting. It is caused by the use of lower grade materials used in the construction of the rope that have no UV stabilizing properties

ali

New elf
No they were actually rather expensive!!
I guess it is probably the intense QLD sun!

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
ali said:
No they were actually rather expensive!!
I guess it is probably the intense QLD sun!

It's not just the cheap ones that suffer I have some my-t-brites that went very brown, I got 3 years out of them in our QLD Sun.

ecbailey

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I dare say these were bought cheap from either EBay or somewhere else that sells very cheap lighting. It is caused by the use of lower grade materials used in the construction of the rope that have no UV stabilizing properties

All my Big W ones have gone brown! Mind you that was from pre computer controlled days.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I used to have a big static display using rope lights and all of them turned brown after 3 or so seasons. They still work however and it should make very little difference at night when viewed from a distance.

I have never found anything that will clean them and once they start getting like that try not to bend them too much as they start splitting resulting in water ingress and trips.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ive seen this with some of my older rope lights I used in the past, but they were the cheapo ones, the better quality rope didn't show any signs of browning. But then we don't have the Queensland sun.