Save power - save money - buy more blinky

bbayjohn

Senior elf
I want to let you in on a little secret. It all started when my solar panel inverter failed. The new inverter came with a wireless network and can be connected to the net and an app on my phone. So that's great & got me thinking about the new smart meter that also has an aerial. With some tips from chat. So I rang my electrical supplier and found I can view my power usage hourly, updated daily. Now I can see in real time what is using all our electricity and when. Yesterday was a good day. In the middle of the day a cloud must of came over. The green is power we bought. The orange is the left over power we did not use produced from the solar panels. If you have a smart meter this is what you can view online with your provider.
-OgUKgLAqXpbmdo0W-XqNa8bs3QzbShjtSj_e-_7IMA

scamper

Dedicated elf
Looks pretty much exactly what I can see online :)
what sort of smart meter? I have one, but western power can't or won't give us any info about it.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
The smart meter is an EDMI atlas mk7a. Watching our electricity bill usage is brilliant. No more surprise bills of over a thousand dollars. We plan to cut our electrical bills by at least 1/3. :D:cool:$_$xDxD

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

bbayjohn

Senior elf
We don't have a smart meter but I installed power usage monitoring to our home and this has help reduce our electricity usage, especially with the kids leaving fans and lights on during the day when going to school. That combined with LED down lights has reduced my bill by around $250 a quarter, so the payback is not that long

https://reductionrevolution.com.au/products/efergy-engage-hub-online-energy-monitor-regular
That's a great way for people without smart meters to monitor usage. Wish i knew of that sooner, before the smart meter arived.