Saying Hi

jaxon1205

New elf
Hi everyone,

New member, been sifting through the forums for about a week. Never done a light show before but after seeing a few on the net I was hooked and have been researching ever since (have read the 101 manual, helped a lot!). Was on the fence on whether I'd do a 2016 show, mainly because I rent in Perth, but after showing my mum some videos and the local show (didn't know at the time but it's scamper's) she loved it and was quite happy for me to set one up at her place. So I've basically got a year to learn and sort everything out.

Background is I'm a graduate electrical (power) engineer, though never really been involved with networking or control systems so still plenty to get my head around.

First year I'm not looking to go too big, just some house outlining, some mini trees and some leaping arches.
Thinking I will go all pixels and like the look of the f16v2 controller though am open to suggestions.

That's about it besides the fact I'm sure I will be swamping you guys with questions soon enough! Cheers.

Jaxon

dale82

Senior elf
Firstly. Welcome to ACL, your on the right Track with things, Jump on to chat when you can there is always great help on the forum.

I would also look into different controller options before you purchase anything, There is advatek and J1systems controllers which are great. Ask lots of questions before you purchase.

i13

Dedicated elf
Remember the F16v2 group buy closes at the end of January. You'll need to make your decision by then but in my opinion the F16v2 is likely to be the best option for you. You really have to choose out of what controllers are available now. I'm sure there will eventually be cheaper or more capable controllers out there but it won't make the F16v2 controller a bad deal and nor is this likely to happen any time soon.

I do agree that for most display items it is best to do plenty of research before deciding which one to get.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome32.gif

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Jaxon

First the disclaimer
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

You have already found the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual which is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)
My only suggestion is read through it several times and ask a lot more questions, besides what you already have, before you purchase anything. Sounds like you headed in the right direction thus far.

jaxon1205

New elf
gerry said:
Welcome to ACL !

The F16v2 is a good controller . I also have the Advatek Pixlite 16 which is very good too .
Do you have both? The Pixlite 16 is what I was tossing up with but leaned toward the F16v2 for the extra pixel control and have been seeing reviews of people saying how easy it is to set up. Do you have a preference between the two?

gerry

Senior elf
I do have both. I used the Pixlite 16 to drive my mega tree , plus used 2 of the DMX outputs to drive Biw W lights and singing faces. Support from Advatek is excellent - if at all required.

I only just got the F16v2 at the end of last year at the group buy, but did not use it in anger :) - though I had it connected and working for a few effects, just to use it.

I think that if I had to pick one over the other , at this point I would go for the F16V2 as there is a group buy on right now, but to be honest have not had a look at price comparisons now.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, im sure with some persistence that you will have a great show for 2016, just ensure you stick with it through out the year