Seasonal Entertainment Rainbow Pixels

brett

New elf
Assuming that each pixel outputs .3 watt to draw 4 amps would require 160 pixels per string.
160 pixels x .3 watt = 48 watts / 12 volt = 4 amps. I hope my maths is correct.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There's actually very little info on the link. The link really needs to provide info on the pixel protocol, the number of pixels etc. From the description the kit could either be a controller for the pixels or could actually be the tiny pcb that goes within the pixels. Based on a rough count it looks to me that there's only about 50 pixels in that video.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
brett said:
Assuming that each pixel outputs .3 watt to draw 4 amps would require 160 pixels per string.
160 pixels x .3 watt = 48 watts / 12 volt = 4 amps. I hope my maths is correct.

The common 0.3W figure for pixels is derived from 5V x 60mA (20mA per colour).

For 12V pixels the wattage is actually 0.72W (12V x 60mA).

If we assume 50 pixels, this equates to 36W or 3 Amps @ 12V.

The 4 Amp figure may just be the rating of the recommended power supply that includes some overhead for the controller.

ponddude

Apprentice elf
Sorry I missed this post everyone...

Please take the information currently posted with a grain of salt. We will be updating the website before the items go on sale in the next week. David is correct...the 4 amps was just a rough figure but after testing it is going to be reduced to 3 amps. We will have two pixels....a "mini" light and a C9 pixel. The C9 pixel will be be a little more as far as amperage, but all of that will be posted before the sale.

The lights use a 12 volt version of the 2801 pixel type...not the 2811. We worked directly with a manufacturer to get these developed and to ensure the waterproofing. The pixels will come with the controller, your choice of pixels as well as a watertight enclosure. They will need to be connected through our Blending system. Each string is 42 pixels long.

The controller has 3 settings...Micro, Macro and Non-DMX mode. Micro mode handles each pixel individually. Macro mode makes the controller handle the string as one 3 channel controller and non-DMX mode runs a sequence over and over for those of you that want to add RGB elements to your display but do not have computer control.

Greg