Setting Up Timing Tracks for Songs with an Anacrusis Beginning

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Hi

I am working on a song that begins with an anacrusis, i.e. the beginning of the song is on the up beat before beat 1 bar 1.

However when I try to set up my timing tracks, xLights does not pick up on this and sets that upbeat as beat 1 bar 1. This effectively means that all my beat and bar markers are ahead by one beat

1634620004429.png
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Max

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Does it REALLY matter? Personally I don't look at what number the bars are, so long as the timing marks are on the beat.
Most songs are in 4/4 and I usually just sequence effects in blocks of 4, 2 or 1 at a time.

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
I mean sure I can't work around it, but that's not really the point.

Almost all songs will start versus/choruses/any other musical motifs at the beginning of the bar. Having the bars line up incorrectly just makes it more difficult when you are trying to put it all together.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
Maybe you could use audacity to add the missing beats to the beginning of the song. That would give you a little dead space at the beginning though. And if I remember correctly you can make timing tracks with audacity and then import them into xlights. That way if you had to add sounds to the beginning to create the beats you can take the sounds back out after the timing track is made and just have a little dead space to deal with. Sounds like a lot of work though.