Shop Bought Power Supplies

sparkyg

New elf
Hello, I've had 10 of these power supplies to plug in every year, which takes a lot of power boards ect. Is there a way of running all of the same type of lights of a single power supply?[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 127

sparkyg

New elf
Thank you for the reply ...is there a tutorial for setting one of these up?

i13

Dedicated elf
Have not seen such a tutorial but it would be a simple task. Just connect the 2 wires to the new power supply instead of the old plugpack.

Using a central power supply is a first step toward computer control although I'd recommend a DC power supply for that purpose and this is not always as simple to set up. AC is the way to go if your intention is to keep those lights static.

i13

Dedicated elf
I have spare plugpacks that came from incandescent light sets. These should be powerful enough to run multiple LED light sets. Happy to post them to you because they're worth $0 to me.

Let me know if interested and I'll investigate how many I have and what power (wattage). Not sure how many of them are 24V off the top of my head.

sparkyg

New elf
i13 said:
I have spare plugpacks that came from incandescent light sets. These should be powerful enough to run multiple LED light sets. Happy to post them to you because they're worth $0 to me.

Let me know if interested and I'll investigate how many I have and what power (wattage). Not sure how many of them are 24V off the top of my head.

Thats interesting ...i have lots of old transformers from incandescent lights also ....if they are 24V output i could try putting a few together and see if they run?

i13

Dedicated elf
I would think so but haven't tried it. Just ensure you don't exceed their ratings.

That's not how I was trying to suggest doing it. See David_AVD's post.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
sparkyg said:
Thats interesting ...i have lots of old transformers from incandescent lights also ....if they are 24V output i could try putting a few together and see if they run?

Be very careful trying to parallel the outputs of multiple transformers. You may end up burning them out if not done correctly.

Also, if one becomes unplugged from 240V, it's mains plug pins will become "live" due to the other one pushing it. Not nice at all.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, try for a single transformer solution.

i13

Dedicated elf
Well spotted David_AVD.

I was suggesting using a single plugpack from an incandescent light set to run multiple LED light sets. Don't wire multiple plugpacks together.

Not sure how much it'll matter to you but those old heavy plugpacks are not as energy efficient as the newer ones.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
i13 said:
Not sure how much it'll matter to you but those old heavy plugpacks are not as energy efficient as the newer ones.

New lightweight (switchmode) power supplies won't actually be a 50Hz sine AC output, so won't work with MFCs that are designed for iron core transformers.

The 24V AC 3 Amp (72VA) one linked a few posts above is probably the safest and easiest way to do it. :)