Small ethernet switch

kane

Dedicated elf
As a followup to something I mentioned in this thread, last week I ordered a couple cheap TP-Link 10/100 switches, for around $15/each delivered (as low as $8 from a shop).

These come with a retail box, 9v power supply and enclosure, so I am thinking that the electronics involved in these wouldn't amount to much more than a couple dollars.. I've pulled one of them apart - a couple photos below.

Anyway, my thoughts are that with the minimal cost and size of these, they could be mounted with each controller in the yard, to allow you to do a daisy-chain between controllers, rather than running ethernet cables out to each controller. The supplied power supply is 9v, so not sure it'll handle 12v - might have to give one a go to see if it handles it ok, as it would be pointless if I have to run an additional power supply line out!

But my main thought is what I mentioned in the thread above - it'd be great if the electronics from this could be incorporated into some of the pixel controllers - to allow the controllers to be daisy chained..

Attachments

• 2013-06-24 15.45.25.jpg
    2013-06-24 15.45.25.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • 2013-06-24 15.45.34.jpg
    2013-06-24 15.45.34.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 29

ecbailey

Full time elf
A regulator capable of taking 12v and supplying 9v would be a good option if they can't handle 12v

I'm sure I've got 12v and 5v ones though.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The MC4063 regulator chip can handle 12V, but you'd need to check the input capacitor voltage rating. Without seeing one close-up it's hard to guarantee, but it should be ok on 12V if the input capacitor is rated 16V or higher.

Measure the output of the plug pack (not connected to switch) to see if it's really 9V (regulated) anyway.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
The MC4063 regulator chip can handle 12V, but you'd need to check the input capacitor voltage rating. Without seeing one close-up it's hard to guarantee, but it should be ok on 12V if the input capacitor is rated 16V or higher.

Measure the output of the plug pack (not connected to switch) to see if it's really 9V (regulated) anyway.
Thanks, will do!