Snow Machines

Pircy

Full time elf
Hi All

Last year when the house was being rebuilt and we had no display we got to spend many nights being lights spectators which was awesome. But the things my kids liked the most was snow machines. So snow here we come!

Im looking to incorporate a snow machine into this year's display. Any info on brands, how good they were, where you got them and cost would be appreciated. I would prefer one controlled by DMX but also happy to have one that i can set i.e. 2 mins on 5 mins off, etc.

Thanks peeps!

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Ah yes very popular with the little ones . Im not such a huge fan as they are very noisy at least ours is ! The blower my wife purchased was from ebay has remote control so she turns of and on as she feels . Jaycar sells them also and you could easily run any of them on dmx using a 240v controller I reckon jaycar ones are set for dmx control for dj use . And for the fluid required to run them can be expensive so you can find recipes on the Internet to save money make your own will get my crazylightlady to post her secret witches brew to help out .

scamper

Dedicated elf
We used a snow machine last year for the first time, and yes it was noisy, but we only ran it while kids were in the yard (and we could be bothered getting up) We got ours from DJ City, they are good for us as they post most things for free.
The biggest problem however is we have some strong easterly winds around that time of year, so lost most of the effect. Our biggest hit was the bubble machine, We only thought about it a couple nights before xmas, but the amount of bubbles that you get and the fact it can just run as long as you want because it is quiet, made it a better option.

Red

l kill you
we hav used one for yrs, we set up a handheld remote, to keep the usage down to a reasonable time frame, and because it was kept in a very dark, elevated, area of the display, we was able to get a few victims who were unaware of its location, just a thought

Binny

Apprentice elf
I bought one two years ago from Jaycar...I have the same issue, is that its very noisy.

I did not like the little remote that it came with...At times would not turn off. I had to turn it off at the main power switch.

I would also suggest making your own Snow Machine Fluid to keeping the cost down. After a few nights of running can be quite expensive using purchased fluid. "Smartalac" has a few recipes on his site that you may be interested in.

http://smartaleclights.com/index.php?page=information&cat=snow

8)

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
scamper said:
We used a snow machine last year for the first time, and yes it was noisy, but we only ran it while kids were in the yard (and we could be bothered getting up) We got ours from DJ City, they are good for us as they post most things for free.
The biggest problem however is we have some strong easterly winds around that time of year, so lost most of the effect. Our biggest hit was the bubble machine, We only thought about it a couple nights before xmas, but the amount of bubbles that you get and the fact it can just run as long as you want because it is quiet, made it a better option.

Haha yes scamp my crazy light lady also just aquired a bubble machine few weeks ago its very quiet and effective purchased for around $60 odd dollars from jaycar .my only concern with it is would hate for little ones to chase bubbles across the road if wind is going in that direction but will monitor and see . But yes that should be a big hit for sure as we tested it a few weeks ago and my teenage son and friends had a great time outside chasing and playing with bubbles without any internet or xbox playstation etc etc lol

logandc99

Dedicated elf
We have used a snow machine from Jaycar for the last 3 years (this our 4th) and it is extremely popular. Yes very noisey but we run ours via the remote in between the sequences. Used to have it on the roof but now have it on a pergola. Also found the 1litre tank a bit small so got a fairly low profile plastic fuel container , spray painted it black and it holds about 3 or 4litres. So i have it sitting next to the snow machine and have the little nozzle of the snow machine in the fuel tank instead so I can run it a lot longer and more frequently in one evening. Definitely make you own snow fluid - much much cheaper.
Make sure at the end of the season you flush the snow machine well with water though as any snow fluid left in the line will block it up and make it difficult to use next season.

Our bubble machine pretty much runs constantly most of each night as it is silent and makes lots of nice bubbles that can be appreciate during the "show". I found it too difficult to make a good enough bubble fluid myself and I buy it (last season we bought a 20litre container of bubble fluid which will also cover this year as well.)

Pircy

Full time elf
Wow. Lots of replies. Thanks all. I always assumed snow machines and bubble machines were the same thing. From these posts it sounds like they are different items??? Or are they????? More research to do i guess. I intend to place it above my yet to be built (building next week) entry gable. It will shoot onto the grass. I was going to put it on the carport but was worried about people slipping over on the concrete driveway.

Wolfie

Full time elf
Free snow!
Local pickup only: Wisconsin. Available pretty much from November through March. You can even borrow my snowblower to take whats on my driveway it you wish.

I have at least one neighbor willing to let you have his too... for a 6-pack.

Pircy

Full time elf
Thanks Wolfie. Im packing the trailer full of eskies. If i start driving now i will be there and back just in time for Christmas day! Are you sure your mate wants a six pack of Aussie beer? It's not like that Amercan watered down stuff you guys drink. 1 of ours might give him alcohol poisoning! LOL!!!