SnowDrift...It's Alive!

pnewcomb1

New elf
It’s called “SnowDrift”.

It is free to “weathervane” with the wind.

It is overall 30’ tall.

All of the RGB Pixels are located inside the Dacron envelope, so the white Dacron diffuses the light.

This is my concept sketch. I am procuring the build elements at this point to prototype it, and begin testing.

There are for sure hurdles to be jumped, and there will be failures…followed by a huge triumph.

I love the thought of natural movement combined with the “tech” of what we do with synchronization…

Comments are welcome…critical and encouraging both.

Remember…you saw it here first! I will share as I go.

It’s called SnowDrift.

SnowdriftConcept_zpse4d143a4.jpg

The following video will give you an idea of how the Dacron will diffuse the light...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXLDs2f5APk&feature=youtu.be

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Can't wait to see this project come to life, certainly going to be impressive at 30' tall.

firebug

Senior elf
This will be very impressive Paul. Will the pole be fixed or be allowed to pivot a small amount given that there will be wires between the fixed base and moving parts??

Bird

LOR user
Very cool idea.
I would think that RGB strips would not like that kind of movement without breakage.
Maybe RGB pixels would be a better idea. Wires between pixels should hold up much better with wind movement.
In any case, I eagerly look forward to seeing the finished product.

loveroflife96

New elf
If you want someone to chat with about it, there was an artist last year at Burning Man here in the US who set up some "grass blades" that had this same concept that did them with RBG elements. They looked amazing cool! Can't wait to see how yours turn out! There's a youtube video somewhere about the grass blades...can't find it now that I'm looking for it. Really cool idea!

Duane

pnewcomb1

New elf
firebug said:
This will be very impressive Paul. Will the pole be fixed or be allowed to pivot a small amount given that there will be wires between the fixed base and moving parts??

that is what that slipring does...it is the brushes and rings that allow the power "past" the pivot...and the one i spec'd is one that has 2 sets of brushes...180 degrees apart...so it is un-interruptable...

battle79

Full time elf
Can't wait to see it.

Hoping you don't run into trouble passing the data signal through the slip ring. I think someone else ended up using a komby wireless unit (I think) to get the data across due to issues he was having with a slip ring. Here's hoping the double contact version gives you perfect results.

Cheers,
Rowan

pnewcomb1

New elf
battle79 said:
Can't wait to see it.

Hoping you don't run into trouble passing the data signal through the slip ring. I think someone else ended up using a komby wireless unit (I think) to get the data across due to issues he was having with a slip ring. Here's hoping the double contact version gives you perfect results.

Cheers,
Rowan

thanks for the heads up, and i believe you are correct...i am only sending the power through the slip ring...i am going to do the data wireless...

at some point, i would like to have 2 or 3, and for christmas have them integrated into the house display (wireless data) from the vixen3 or lsp... but for other holidays and venues, maybe set them up silent with arduino to be "aware" of each other...and to be interactive with each other...

because of it's height, and my cold/windy environment, i want the ability to quickly pull it down and keep it safe (like in our 70 mph blow a coupe weeks back) or to repair it in a warm environment.

i have 2...maybe 3 places that these would work well...and they would hide some "less than pretty" areas from view...