Some days?!? Just letting off steam

Habbosrus

Back again
Some days I just feel like throwing my hands in the air. We have battled non employment, brain tumours (ongoing battle), deaths in the family, newly diagnosed diabetes to both my parents, my father in law has been hospitalised for dementia. I always try to stay positive, always. This morning finally had me shed a few tears. It's the smallest thing, but I finally broke, just for a moment and I will get over it. My laptop died. I plugged it in, turned it on and then it made a funny noise and smoke!!!
It holds all of my sequencing that I have spent countless hours creating. I know it's not the end of the earth, but just for a moment I let my guard down.
Last week I was finally able to scrape together enough money to place a part order with Ray. I was so excited (I know, small things....)
There, I feel better now. I will rebuild, fix or acquire and get things up and running again somehow.
At least I still have my iPad so I can keep in contact with all the wonderful people on ACL.

dale82

Senior elf
If there is anything I can help with just PM me, I know exactly what you are going through, Hang in there, There is a Sun that shines behind every dark cloud!

mtpurser

New elf
maybe the hard drive did not fry carry it to the local pc repair and see if the files still exist never hurts to look i have a converter i got from tiger direct that lets you hook a laptop h/d into the usb port on a pc good luck

damo1271

Full time elf
If you have another PC you can take the HDD out of the laptop and try using an external 2.5 HDD reader to read the laptop drive on the other PC. (about $30 from MSY)
You may be able to read the drive.

Even if the hard drive did "fry" there may be still a way to get your data!
If you can find another (working) HDD with the same make and model, you can swap the circuit board on the hard drives. If there is nothing physically wrong with the HDD then you may still be able to access the data. I did this once with a desktop HDD that 'died'.
It is probably best if you use a working system that has not released its magic smoke.
The hard part - getting the same make and model!

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Definitely worth taking the laptop to someone to see if you can get them to save the hard drive contents. Seeing smoke sounds more like a power supply or possibly the motherboard. Hard drive may well be still intact. Recently had two desktop computers die, one made a very loud bang and it was just the power supply. The other did have a hard drive failure but the computer place was still able to retrieve the contents.

dariansdad

New elf
This is the reason I pay $10 a month for dropbox. I have a copy on my PC and a copy in the dropbox folder. Even if my hdd fries or someone drills a hole through it, my sequences are where I can access them

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Something like dropbox is an excellent suggestion. Been using Dropbox also ( but the free 2gb only) and its great for having a backup online copy of your files. Also great if working with more than one computer as you access the latest sequence from anywhere. Thinking of going to a paid version like the $10 / month Dropbox you mentioned or possibly Cubby.
Having a backup external drive at home is great to have but doesn't help if you get broken into and stuff is stolen etc. I've also had backup hard turn up their toes. So nothing is perfect but the more backup options, the less stress when things go pear shaped.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I feel for you, life can dish out a lot, but your positive attitude is a lesson for most of us here.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Dropbox rules. Had all my computers stolen 2 years ago but the show still went on

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Man, that's rough. Sometimes it's ok to keep it together, and sometimes it does you a lot of good private place and cry, scream and throw things, believe me it helps to get it out. If you are always "strong" it will bite you in the end. I can speak from experience, and it wasn't pretty when I finely lost it. It will all come out one way or another, it's a lot better if you control the place and time. My prayers are with you and yours .. It will get better. If you need some 110vac led strings, I don't know if they all work, but I could pack 'em up in a box and send 'em to you if you want. Are you using LOR?
Best wishes and good luck
John
By the way, If it wasn't so tragic, you would have the start, middle, and end of a great Country song. (just had to add that;)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Habbosrus said:
Some days I just feel like throwing my hands in the air. We have battled non employment, brain tumours (ongoing battle), deaths in the family, newly diagnosed diabetes to both my parents, my father in law has been hospitalised for dementia. I always try to stay positive, always. This morning finally had me shed a few tears. It's the smallest thing, but I finally broke, just for a moment and I will get over it. My laptop died. I plugged it in, turned it on and then it made a funny noise and smoke!!! Last week I was finally able to scrape together enough money to place a part order with Ray. I was so excited (I know, small things....)
There, I feel better now. I will rebuild, fix or acquire and get things up and running again somehow.
At least I still have my iPad so I can keep in contact with all the wonderful people on ACL.

Here is some good news for you, 1 more post and you have hit 100 posts and move up to the next level :D

Habbosrus

Back again
Hey everybody. Thanks for all the well wishes. I didn't mean to be a downer. I know all too well life will throw a spanner in the works every now & then. I've learned to stay positive and that helps a lot. Yesterday was just a brief moment that I let it get to me for a moment. It has just given me a new challenge.
I want to sincerely thank everybody here. This site and all it's great people mean a great deal to me.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Last year was my first year doing lights. Planned for 6 months then mid November before I had put any lights up. In the middle of my cousins wedding I was carted off to emergency with a blocked small intestine. Spent a week in hospital getting my stomach pumped and filling me up with a medical draino. A week later I came home picked myself up off the lounge and put my lights up. It was tough but I got it done.

When I saw the looks on the kids faces. It turned my glass from half empty to half full. For me that's Christmas. It's creating happy memories that last a lifetime. I have struggled with my own health issues for years and Sometimes when life seems so HoHoHo those little blinky lights can still make it all worth while.

So chin up, get stuck in and make those lights dance.

bert-nc

New elf
JCMarksafb said:
Man, that's rough. Sometimes it's ok to keep it together, and sometimes it does you a lot of good private place and cry, scream and throw things, believe me it helps to get it out. If you are always "strong" it will bite you in the end. I can speak from experience, and it wasn't pretty when I finely lost it. It will all come out one way or another, it's a lot better if you control the place and time. My prayers are with you and yours .. It will get better. If you need some 110vac led strings, I don't know if they all work, but I could pack 'em up in a box and send 'em to you if you want. Are you using LOR?
Best wishes and good luck
John
By the way, If it wasn't so tragic, you would have the start, middle, and end of a great Country song. (just had to add that;)
a great country song maybe, but not the perfect country song.
there is no mention of trains, prison, pick-up trucks, or being drunk.
reference to an old David Allan Coe song.
bert-nc