Some effects aren't showing from XLights on an FPP

aplant92

Full time elf
Some of the more advanced effects in XLights (Wave, Liquid) don't get output at all to my lights when running from the FPP, while other more basic effects do. I've only got one strand plugged in for testing, but I would have thought XLights would just send the data on the appropriate channel.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do the lights need to be connected and configured in a particular way for this to display properly?

aplant92

Full time elf
Just an update on this - it appears to only be the liquid effect that isn't working from what I can tell. Is there something special you need to do to get that effect to work?

keithsw1111

Senior elf
The way you asked the question has me a bit confused. Let's take fpp and your lights out of the equation. Does it work on your screen. I am guessing not. Several effects (and liquid is one of them) don't work well on all models. In the case of liquid and single line models for example. Liquid needs a model with some height and width as it simulates thousands of small particles.

aplant92

Full time elf
Hi Keith,

Sorry I might have phrased it a bit weirdly! The effect looks absolutely fine on XLights, it's just when I've rendered, saved and moved it over to the FPP that the liquid effect doesn't seem to take place.

Would XLights still display it properly if it's not going to work with the lights I've defined?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
What model/element are you trying to display the liquid effect on? Is it a mini/mega tree or matrix for example?
Do all other effects (bars, curtain, firework etc) all work fine on these models in the yard? Seems odd that only a specific type of effect would not work. Either they all work or don't. If they don't, then it could be a configuration issue with controller or xlights setup.
I assume you've run Check Sequence to see if there are any errors or warnings?

aplant92

Full time elf
What model/element are you trying to display the liquid effect on? Is it a mini/mega tree or matrix for example?
Do all other effects (bars, curtain, firework etc) all work fine on these models in the yard? Seems odd that only a specific type of effect would not work. Either they all work or don't. If they don't, then it could be a configuration issue with controller or xlights setup.
I assume you've run Check Sequence to see if there are any errors or warnings?
It's an effect across all models (I have a group in XLights for all the models that this effect runs on). I'm testing one arch in particular - it should see some lights as I can see in XLights it gets some of the "splash" then fills up.

Other effects seem to work fine, yes, it's just the liquid one that refuses to display at all for some reason!

The configuration on the controller (F16V2-R) is pretty standard (I thought) - what sort of configuration could cause this behaviour?

And yep, no errors, a few warnings about elements being hidden or fade out effects on other models being too long, but I've been assuming these won't impact on the liquid effect (it's not mentioned anyway either directly or by the time slice).

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Odd. Are you using a white colour for the liquid effect that doesn't light up the arches? Different colours used for other effects? Maybe its a power injection issue??
Really hard to tell. If possible maybe join the Zoom session this evening via your mobile or tablet so you can show us exactly whats happening and we can try to figure out as a group?

aplant92

Full time elf
Odd. Are you using a white colour for the liquid effect that doesn't light up the arches? Different colours used for other effects? Maybe its a power injection issue??
Really hard to tell. If possible maybe join the Zoom session this evening via your mobile or tablet so you can show us exactly whats happening and we can try to figure out as a group?
It's a transition from blue to white, but nothing different than other effects I have going on in terms of color!

Power injection shouldn't be an issue because it's only 75 pixels (and everything else displays fine).

I was thinking I would do that, yes! Have you go a link to the session that I can join?

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Some of this warning could be causing the issue. Generally though if you render all and then play then what appears on the screen should appear on your lights. If they don't then it is likely config issues on setup or your controller.

aplant92

Full time elf
Some of this warning could be causing the issue. Generally though if you render all and then play then what appears on the screen should appear on your lights. If they don't then it is likely config issues on setup or your controller.
Someone on the Falcon forums suggested updating XLights and re-rendering. I'm going to test that also.

I can't think of any configuration setting I would have applied that would prevent one specific effect from working but allow all others to. My setup is fairly vanilla so I haven't really touched much else other than setting up the number of universes, pixels and channels.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
It's a transition from blue to white, but nothing different than other effects I have going on in terms of color!

Power injection shouldn't be an issue because it's only 75 pixels (and everything else displays fine).

I was thinking I would do that, yes! Have you go a link to the session that I can join?
On the right hand side at the top of this site is the link blue button: https://xlights.org/

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
The one account is used by all blinky enthusiasts. AUS has a scheduled one every Friday evening (although nothing stopping us jumping on at any time really) and the US guys have one I think Thur AUS time (which I think is WED night US time)
Basically, jump in and watch/listen at any time as required :)