Sometimes it's the simple things - 350W mounting rails

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Whilst trying to make some room on the testing shelf and tidy up the shelf, I noticed the 350W PSU's had 4 x 4mm threaded holes on the flat side opposite the fan, ideal for mounting under shelf.

Over to tinkercad, a simple 140mm wide peice with a couple holes, recessed screw heads for the M4's and thick enough so the 10mm long ones i had on hand didn't short anything inside.

I'll let some images say the rest.

P8040252.jpg

P8040253.jpg

P8040255.jpg

P8040257.jpg

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Nice.
Any testing as to how much they will hold/hang onto? Being upside down, is there any problem with vibration from the fans weakening the material?

It really is nice to see the intake vent, usually on the bottom edge and blocked by any flat mounting surface, being open and available to the air.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im forever finding ways to use my 3D printer. Ive made base plates for the HRP450 power supply to fit inside a BUD box so all holes located where i want them. I spent the weekend designing some chandelier hangers for an install i have coming up and the solution turned out great.

When i build something that requires some structural strength then i build with 100% infill which means it is solid plastic. The ABS plastic is similar to lego so it has some decent strength when solid. I tested one of my chandelier mounts i made and had a tug-o-war with my son using 27kg breaking strain fishing line and the line is what broke after some decent tugging without any flex in the plastic. So i have my confidence in it.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Buy her a 3D printer as a 40th anniversary gift :D Wife's like good presents like that

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Justify it by pointing out the things around the house you can fix for her because you have one.

My wifes opinion changed when i was able to make up new plastic brackets for the blinds as i have a few brocken brackets and could not find a replacement, instead i made them and problem solved and wife happy.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Fing said:
Buy her a 3D printer as a 40th anniversary gift :D Wife's like good presents like that

I don't know. She already owns a nice drill, several drawers of the tool chest, and a cement mixer... (no joke)

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
algerdes said:
Fing said:

I don't know. She already owns a nice drill, several drawers of the tool chest, and a cement mixer... (no joke)

You spoil her, i hope my wife doesn't hear of this :eek: