Spinner effect

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi all.
I'm pulling out whats left of my hair trying to work out what effect is used to make a spinner look like it's spinning!
I know different Render Styles can create different effects, but for the life of me I cannot work it out.
My desired effect is where each arm lights up whole and then rotates around, arm by arm.
Surely someone has sequenced this effect?! Finding it hard to find it in an existing video.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
i set mine up as 8 separate strings and sequenced that way then you can light up each string or the whole thing oh but that is in vixen i cant work out xlights

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
in xlights create new spinner as required, then in the sequencer, add the spinner display element then double click on the element to expand the strands then turn each one on one after the other

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• spinner.PNG
    spinner.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 170

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks. Looks like manual strand by strand is the way i can get the desired effect. Morph came close but not as I had hoped.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Is it RGB nodes on each leg? I'm sure there are several ways to do this in one model level effect but I'm not at home to be able to show how.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I have my megatree star made up a bit like a spinner (but small) in that it has six arms, with each arm containing three rectangular pixels. So effectively three pixels per arm.
I took the megatree star model and made a submodel which I call "each arm" and then using the add row function, made 6 lines, each line containing the pixels for that arm - so line one, node ranges 1-3, line 2 node range 4-6 etc. Then ticked vertical buffer layout.
Then back in the sequencer applied a single strand effect to the "each arm" submodel and you get it spinning.

EDIT: Sorry - the above is probably irrelevant as you will be using the spinner model and I was adapting from a star model :p

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-09-22 08.24.06.png
    Screenshot 2016-09-22 08.24.06.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2016-09-22 08.25.10.png
    Screenshot 2016-09-22 08.25.10.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 58

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Gilrock said:
Is it RGB nodes on each leg? I'm sure there are several ways to do this in one model level effect but I'm not at home to be able to show how.

I'm using WS2811 12V RGB strip 500mm long, so 5 pixels per arm.
logandc99 said:

I have my megatree star made up a bit like a spinner (but small) in that it has six arms, with each arm containing three rectangular pixels. So effectively three pixels per arm.
I took the megatree star model and made a submodel which I call "each arm" and then using the add row function, made 6 lines, each line containing the pixels for that arm - so line one, node ranges 1-3, line 2 node range 4-6 etc. Then ticked vertical buffer layout.
Then back in the sequencer applied a single strand effect to the "each arm" submodel and you get it spinning.

EDIT: Sorry - the above is probably irrelevant as you will be using the spinner model and I was adapting from a star model :p

Yes you are right, I am using the Spinner model which was quite easy to setup, but as far as sequencing an effect to light up each arm at a time, it seems it has to be done manually by each arm. Many other effects also look great as they are, particularly playing around with the Render Styles, but I thought a simple effect for spinning would have been easy given the power of xLights as it stands today.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Well, unless someone else comes up with an easy way to do it just using one effect with adjusting the effect settings (I tried briefly but failed I'm afraid but I'm all ears for the solution :D ) setting up a submodel as I described above might be a way around it to which you can apply a single strand effect- I'm just not sure if the exact process I outlined above (i.e including ticking the vertical buffer layout) might need to be varied to get the submodel the correct way since you are submodeling a spinner and I was submodeling a star.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I don't think this should require sub-models. What are the render styles available when you have a Spinner model? If there's not a render buffer that groups the legs then we need to add one. I've got 2 trips coming up so I probably won't be able to help.

i13

Dedicated elf
You can achieve this by creating a matrix model assigned to the same channels as the starburst and applying the bars or spiral effect to it.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Gilrock said:
I don't think this should require sub-models. What are the render styles available when you have a Spinner model? If there's not a render buffer that groups the legs then we need to add one. I've got 2 trips coming up so I probably won't be able to help.

Hi Gil. Depending on the effect, Default, Per Preview & Single Line are the choices of Render Style.
Bars effect, direction Left and render style Default is very close to what I was after. I'll try to keep fiddling over the weekend.

i13

Dedicated elf
keithsw1111 said:
The spinner creates a matrix when it renders so creating a shadow matrix model should make no difference at all.
Good to know. My spinner is still a custom model from before the spinner function was added.

Gilrock

Full time elf
djgra79 said:
Gilrock said:

Hi Gil. Depending on the effect, Default, Per Preview & Single Line are the choices of Render Style.
Bars effect, direction Left and render style Default is very close to what I was after. I'll try to keep fiddling over the weekend.

I'm pretty sure the Render Style options only change based on model type and not the effect chosen.