Stand alone pixel control. Write once board.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I had a friend ask me me on doing a little pixel setup for him in his window. All he wants is a few of the rgb milky stars that ray sells hooked up to a controller and just cycle thru a pattern.

I know how to do it with j1sys hardware and lightshowpro, but if I were to use a cheap standalone controller. What would I use. Can you get a cheap board which can be written too once (no sd card) and just repeat a sequence every time it has power turned on. What software would you use.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The J1SYS P2 with the optional add-on board would be able to do that. You'd have to ask Ed for an updated release date on it though.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah the p2 is an expensive option. I was hoping for a really cheap board that can just control 1 universe fully stand alone. Possibly be written to once or have preprogrammed effects. It's not for a show just a simple lights setup for tree or window.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
What about something like this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12V-24key-IR-WS2811-pixel-controller-72W-output/980280175.html

Not sure what voltage the stars are but these controllers can't be pre-programmed or anything but can be operated via remote to do simple test type sequences. Easy to change just by pointing the remote. The range of the remote is only about 1M but an option non the less. I doubt a control can get any cheaper but this might not be what you need.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah something like that is more the style. He was either thinking some stars for his window or a pixel string around his tree. Have you used this before. What's the USB plug for.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
I haven't used the pixel controller but I did win a dumb 3 channel version + some strip at the Sydney mini.

If you have an order coming from Ray shortly it mightn't hurt to throw one in your order to play with. Possibly someone else has used something like this.

I'm looking to do something really simple with dumb strip for my Dad without him having to use a computer. These give him the option to set a sequence and speed but also options to change it up if he wants. I'm assuming the pixel version would be fairly similar?

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yeah I'm pretty sure these will work for what I want. I'm just looking to making sure the connections can all just be pushed together. Power supply pixels etc. he has little kids with little fingers and cause its going to be inside I want to make sure if its pulled apart. 1. They won't hurt themselves and 2. He can easily clip it back together.

grahami2006

Full time elf
talk2coxie said:
I haven't used the pixel controller but I did win a dumb 3 channel version + some strip at the Sydney mini.

If you have an order coming from Ray shortly it mightn't hurt to throw one in your order to play with. Possibly someone else has used something like this.

I'm looking to do something really simple with dumb strip for my Dad without him having to use a computer. These give him the option to set a sequence and speed but also options to change it up if he wants. I'm assuming the pixel version would be fairly similar?
Hi Mark,
Were you able to get anymore from the supplier?

talk2coxie

Full time elf
grahami2006 said:
Hi Mark,
Hi Graham, I haven't ordered or bought anymore of these controllers but probably will as soon as Dad gets measurements and some fund clearance from his finance minister. I think they will suit him perfectly though. Great find and thanks again for your donation prize to the mini :)

grahami2006

Full time elf
talk2coxie said:
grahami2006 said:
Hi Mark,
Hi Graham, I haven't ordered or bought anymore of these controllers but probably will as soon as Dad gets measurements and some fund clearance from his finance minister. I think they will suit him perfectly though. Great find and thanks again for your donation prize to the mini :)

Doesn't he have override on the finance minister. Do what I do and plead ignorance.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Just emailed ray to ask about the connections. One of the pics shows a rectangle female plug for the lights and a USB. Is the USB to upload data and what style is the other plug. What sort of plug for power supply.

[font=tahoma, sans-serif]Sometimes the pics get confusing and the info is a bit vague The more I study the pic, it actually looks like what I think is a usb input is a mini sd card slot. I could be mistaken. I guess order and play is best way to figuring it out.[/font]

Habbosrus

Back again
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Just emailed ray to ask about the connections. One of the pics shows a rectangle female plug for the lights and a USB. Is the USB to upload data and what style is the other plug. What sort of plug for power supply.

Sometimes the pics get confusing and the info is a bit vague The more I study the pic, it actually looks like what I think is a usb input is a mini sd card slot. I could be mistaken. I guess order and play is best way to figuring it out.

I think the USB port you're referring to is actually the connection for the led strip. I bought a dumb 3528 strip controller off ebay some time ago. This is the pixel equivalent. From your original post, this is exactly what your neighbour wants.