storage ideas

Grant Astley

New elf
Hi all
As it gets closer to pack everything away for another year (or there about) I was wondering how everyone stores there lights in particular the RBG mounting strips.
I noticed when I was building that once loaded up with LEDs they take up a fair amount of room.

So fair I really only have 2 ideas of storing these.
1 - Rolled up and in storage boxes. I think this will be OK for this year as I do not have too many to store but as I get more and more this could end up being a bulky way of storing them.
2 - Either hanging on the garage wall from the top maybe 2 or 3 on each row. However my garage is already pretty full from my other hobby so that also would not be completely future proof either. So I was thinking of hanging from the roof horizontally this would allow for around 5 meters length wise of hanging with a spacing of say 70mm that would be 70 strips of up to 5 meters long. This should be plenty :) and up nice and high out of the way. It is also possible to add another row if I ever need to as well.
Only problem now is how to hang all of these and also how far apart the spacing of rods will need to be. I was thinking of running multiple 8mm rods 50mm from the roof on brackets/hooks so that they can have the lights mounted on the ground and then just hung up.

Open to all ideas and would love to see how everyone else is doing this.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
Very good point!
Must admit that I hadn’t considered this part of the new adventure myself...

I will be watching with interest.

livetoride

Full time elf
I made a 150mm pvc pipe that's 6meters in length that hangs on the back of the shed that I store my conduit with lights still attached to avoid taking up space in the shed. Holds a heap of roofline and window frames. Id show you a picture but we are moving house so there's not much to see.

Grant Astley

New elf
So this is what I have came up with. In the pics there are 8 strips hanging off the roof. Two more to come once I repair them / they were not finished in time :(
Next year I plan on adding 30 more strips. This leaves me room for many more and once filled I can just add more to it until the whole roof is filled :)
Next year I will also upgrade the dowel to steal rod to support the extra weight.

Attachments

• 20180105_204556.jpg
    20180105_204556.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • 20180105_204609.jpg
    20180105_204609.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 20180105_204622.jpg
    20180105_204622.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20180105_204631.jpg
    20180105_204631.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

scamper

Dedicated elf
I like the idea of the dowel. I have a piece of wood that has screws in it to account for all my mega tree strips, but obviously I need to add mode screws if I add more strips.
I have 2 150mm pvc pipes with screw ends attached to the side of the house and a lean too to put all the large display items under.
i have bought a small under eve shed and planned on putting it out the side where the lean too is, but there is not enough room, so it will be going in the carport. Inside it, I will stack all the plastic tubs that I stack all the stuff in and then maybe look at other solutions in there as I have a lot of underutilised space, I just need to come up with an ingenious way to use it.