Strings with Pigtails, or DIY?

aeiche

New elf
Hi all,

I'm on the verge of placing an order to get strings for my display this year. Last year I had a pretty simple setup, so this year is a step up. Looking at options though, I'm confronted with a choice ("just one??" you say - I know)
I can buy strings from Ray Wu or the like with waterproof connectors already attached or
I can buy strings from BTF-lighting, in which case I'll need to hand attach my own pigtails.

The reason this is a concern in the first place is because the shipping from Ray Wu is high, and from BTF is free, meaning that the cost of the Ray Wu strings comes out to be just a little more than the BTF strings in the first place. The downside of course is that I need to spend a couple of weekends hand-soldering my own connectors. I've done a lot of that for Halloween this year, and it never goes as fast as I want it.

Thoughts? Does anyone attach their own pigtails?

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I've soldered on 100's of pigtails over the years. As much as like soldering....I have better things to do with time. The last few years I've ordered custom strings as needed or 50ct/100ct strings with pigtails. Attaching pigtails isn't difficult but does take some and effort depending on what you're building. Might be a bit late in the year for orders from China if planning for 2021. Most people are built and getting ready to setup soon

i13

Dedicated elf
Ask Ray Wu to manually calculate the postage cost. It often works out cheaper than what AliExpress automatically calculates.