Strip light in kitchen

Pircy

Full time elf
My massive Reno is about to start. As part of the build we are getting a new kitchen, about $20,000's worth. It's going to be sweet! The missus is in charge of everything. . . Except lighting!!!! That's my job. So, I want to put rgb strip around the base of the cabinets and under the wall hung cabinets to light my bench tops. Potentially I also want to put them under the lip of each stair tread for the entire staircase. I currently have 5 x 5m rolls of this left over from a Ray Wu order:

Flexible LED Strip;5050 SMD;30LEDs/m,waterproof by silicon tubing; RGB color:DC12V input
Any suggestions on what to use to power these strips and also a controller/remote control setup that can be used inside my house.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Make sure you get the routing done to conceal the lighting in the cabinet or else it will look tacky. If not then use some aluminium diffused channel to make it look clean.
As far as powering and controlling them, then there are many budget choices from Ray

Bird

LOR user
I would suggest a cheap simple controller that only has a few effects.
If it were me, I would all white ability for utility use when using the counter tops preparing food etc. and a very very slow color change effect for when guests are in the house. Maybe even an occasional slow chase or other slow effect.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hey pircy use what u got and on eBay are little controllers with remotes relatively cheap and do multiple things there great for the money sorry can't seem to put up a pic will try

elnino

Full time elf
These are my stair lights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak9fb2xzxA

They use generic white LED strips. I use a cheap IR movement sensor at the top and bottom to trigger the lights. All controlled by an arduino but also tie in to my home automation stuff via MQTT (because I can!).

However, I'm about to upgrade to RGB WS2811's but one of thse on each side -http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12V-WS2811-addressable-pixel-PCBA-3pcs-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-size-22mm-diameter-0-72W/2047867451.html of course, whe i have time....