T-type waterproof connector confusion

Cmndrbrain

New elf
I was getting ready to put up my lights for the first time. I'm starting with the lights I want on the house year round. I wanted to use waterproof connectors and I know that I'll need some power injection. After doing some testing, I've noticed that there is a problem with the T-type waterproof connectors from Ray Wu. It seems as though the Data and the +V line are crossed. If I keep the colors straight (Brown: +V, Blue: Gnd, Yel/Grn: Data) then the +V will be put on the data line and, I believe, will ruin the strand. Both brown wires are connected to the Yel/Grn wire on the output. What am I missing?

0814182110.jpg 0814182110a.jpg

Last edited:

Cmndrbrain

New elf
Well, after a couple of hours of testing, I found the problem. Lucky for me the female pigtail connector I used to do my testing happened to be 1 of 2 defective connectors. It seems that 2 out of the 20 connectors I have, have the data line mixed with one of the power lines. One connector was mixed with the +12v power and the other was mixed with the GND. That mistake could have blown my whole string. The data line is supposed to be the center hole, below the polarity notch. The first image is a good connector where the yellow wire has continuity with the center hole, while the other 2 are defective. So, some advise to me and anyone willing to listen... Always meter and verify your connections before using them.

Good connector:
0814182259.jpg

Bad connector: Data and +V are swapped
0814182300.jpg

Bad connector: Data and Gnd are swapped
0814182301.jpg

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
you're not the first to find this issue with Ray's pigtails, but excellent fault finding demonstration and good to remind people to check before use.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.