Text Display OMG!

Akentut

New elf
OK wifey says text, so I build a 16' x 12" display of 8 strips of 2812B (30led/M). OK so each strip has 150 pixels, or 450 channels, x8 wow, that's 3600 EEEEK! :-\ . Now she says "I don't like the scrolling left to right. So now I'm making 4 rows of 8 strips cut at 75 leds so I can make text scroll down. Now I'll have 7200 channels. OMG! :eek: So I have 2 E682's and a Renard 24, am I gonna need another E682? :'( .

See my attached garage mess, after wife give me permission to go hog wild with Christmas lights. SInce I was a hit last year. :) Also is the text display I'm working on.

Attachments

• LED Mess.JPG
    LED Mess.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 136

scamper

Dedicated elf
Have fun with that :D
And I hope your grass isn't growing too fast this time of year cos it doesn't look like you are getting to your mower any time soon :eek:

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Gotta love it when the minister for finance says she wants it bigger! (stop snickering)

Akentut

New elf
LOL, fortunately, the lawnmower is accessable thru the golf cart garage door. As for turning it sideways, I'm sure she'd take away my DC power supplies and make me sleep in the garage. ;) But she did give permission to make it bigger. Everyone needs a wife like her. :D

I've been working on using Vixen 3, but I'll probably use Xlights to do the grid.

I'll check on those Pixlite's and see if that will meet my need, as I'm sure I'm gonna run out of channels sooner than expected.

All total, I have a mega-tree (1200 channels), 2 sets of three tri-level trees (1300 channels), 10 mini trees (1200 channels) and 4 arches (420 channels). Not including this text grid. So my 2 E682's should be able to handle this. Maybe I'll have some left over to do my LED star on the roof and turn it into pixels. :)

Akentut

New elf
OK, got two lines done. PROBLEM! xLights has 4 lines possible, but I want to scroll top to bottom (down). The problem is both lines start at the same time so they overlay each other. Any other software out there that will do scrolling text? Or is there another solution via Nutcracker? Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. :eek:

Tnx
Alan

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Akentut said:
OK, got two lines done. PROBLEM! xLights has 4 lines possible, but I want to scroll top to bottom (down). The problem is both lines start at the same time so they overlay each other. Any other software out there that will do scrolling text? Or is there another solution via Nutcracker? Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. :eek:

Tnx
Alan

The fix is to use new lines

Line 1: Merry
Line 2: Christmas
Line 3: Happy
Line 4: New year

Change it to
Line 1: Merry\nChristmas\nHappy\nNew year
Line 2:
Line 3:
Line 4:

\n indicates a newline

Akentut

New elf
Thanks Sean, I'll tinker with this later today. I do remember those codes from my years long past programming days. :)

First Year Baby Boomer. 1946 :)
Alan

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Looking at your garage pic in your opening post there are some green mesh "trees". Are these your "mini-trees"? Can you put their dimensions in this post is poss. Be really appreciated. Made mine from chicken mesh but messy. Yours look nice.

Akentut

New elf
nzlongfellow -> The fencing is from Home Depot it's construction fencing, plastic with 1" squares. I made a template 1/4 circle about 26" then used tie-wraps to hold it together. Made it very easy to put the lights on. I used WS2811 strings and cut them to 40 leds, so I can use 4 strings of 50 to make 5 tree's.
The arch in the background is 9' and uses the same LEDs tie-wrapped to the outside of A/C flex pipe. I did put them inside but they weren't bright enough.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    984.9 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 39

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Alan Wrote "The arch in the background is 9' and uses the same LEDs tie-wrapped to the outside of A/C flex pipe. I did put them inside but they weren't bright enough."
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Alan, for what it is worth, I found that I could drill a 1/2" hole clear through the tube (test check the bit size against your pixels), then open out the back-side with a 9/16" drill (be careful that drill doesn't catch and pull right thru) pixels then clip into hole and protrude thru like they are designed. Note: there can be NO tension on the pipe as it may fail with too many holes. But this kept the pixels nice and neat.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Started my arches like this then I changed design to modules LOL.[/font]