Thank you ACL

caffeine

Full time elf
So after being prompted by the wind to pack up my display on Saturday I finally had some time to see other people's displays tonight.

For the last month and a half I have just about lived in the chatroom. In a matter of weeks I obtained RGB, did construction and got a display up that I'm reasonably proud of.

I can say with 100% certainty it wouldn't have happened without ACL, both live interactions and advice, old forum posts, 101 guides, wikis, members who sell stuff, and just general banter to keep my enthusiasm up.

David_AVD and AAH our resident electronics nuts. Shell making us all look bad and driving us to better things. Yagoona and Lithgow, for some reason I see them as twins in my head. FastEddy the professional. Superman, smartalec and Matt the ever-present quick-witted individuals in the chatroom. Ryanschristmaslights the site tinkerer. Andy Harrison the LOR counterpoint to LSP Eddy. Trafficman, oldmanfathertime, hdracer, Karob talktocoxie, dougd and countless others.

TuppetsDad and Sam I got to see in action tonight. Andrew Frazer I saw on Sam's screen :). Tom82 and his lovely wife??? who I got to meet as they packed up and finally ԆцряєсϮ who spent 45 minutes with me tonight showing me all his setup, giving me fantastic real-life insight and just generally being welcoming and chatty.

So many people I've come to know over such a short period of time. Never feeling like an outsider or treated as a newbie, always willing to help and laugh and chat.

Servers, chat deaths, ownership, whatever. I don't care. What you have here is a fantastic community like no other and you should all be EXTREMELY proud and accept my sincere and heart-felt thanks to all of you.

Lastly it would be remiss of me to forget all the 'new to lights' people this year. You are just as important as it's made me feel less incompetent and given me an opportunity to give back in some small way to others to lessen my guilt over leeching information from the experts.

Bring on 2014 and I can't wait to see the creativity and community grow!

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I'll be the first to say it.
We all thought 1 month ago you were MAD to try and do something,But, you have certainenly pulled off something to be proud of that can be built upon over the next seasons.
I look forward to continually seeing you in chat as it wont be long before you'll find yourself helping other lost soles in chat.
It's just what we like to do and your one good reason we do it.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
not me I thought you could do it all along.

no really you have done a great job and great to see your display have given you so much joy

caffeine

Full time elf
superman said:
I'll be the first to say it.
We all thought 1 month ago you were MAD to try and do something,But, you have certainenly pulled off something to be proud of that can be built upon over the next seasons.
I look forward to continually seeing you in chat as it wont be long before you'll find yourself helping other lost soles in chat.
It's just what we like to do and your one good reason we do it.

Leaving things until the pressure of last minute has always historically worked for me. In year 12 when handing our results our VCE co-ordinator just said 'you don't deserve this, get out'. :)

This year though my planning has commenced and I'll do it 'right'. It needs to be so. Looking forward to it.

But you are right, it was sheer and utter madness however the support of this community played a huge part in anything happening at all, hence this thread.

dale82

Senior elf
I totally agree with you Caf, Without ACL I don't think that I would've had a display. I jumped from LOR to LSP and also went straight into a full RGB pixel display. I would not have thought that I could do what I achieved this year.

I built a massive Matrix, which I am soo proud of, I also did all the wiring to all of the controllers and even soldered (Which im so not a fan of LOL) but I never thought that I would do such a thing 12 months ago. So i'll say a big thankyou too to all the ACL community for my relentless questions on the forums, I know that at times you all must thought I was a bit slow but I got there :p

firebug

Senior elf
My biggest achievement has always been to make others look less incompetent...
nilly.gif

Great job caffeine. I look forward to your efforts next year. :)