The CLAP people are helping evolve Burning Man!

bobdow

New elf
Hi,

I'm new. In Oakland, CA

My personal projects are Burning Man focused, but the ideas and knowledge base here are exactly what I was looking for.

This year we are running a 20ft diameter UFO that will be 12 feet in the air and driven from below via the chopped front end of a 1995 Toyota Tercel.

We have (3000) 5v RGB pixels (WS2811) on the UFO "belly" running as a matrix so crazy kids can dance under it. This is my first large scale lighting project, I apologize in advance for all of the dumb questions I will ask.

I'm still playing with control software options, learning about injecting power and reading piles of posts here on on DIYxmas.

I have found the Christmas Light subculture to be super helpful and full of crazy smart people. It reminds me of the early days of computers when hackers, makers and DIY user groups pushed it all forward.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome47.gif

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Sounds like a great project .. can't wait to see it in action. There are plenty of people here who can help you with any questions you have, so don't hesitate to ask your "dumb" questions. This lighting stuff is moving so rapidly that everyone is learning new things everyday. Anyway, Welcome to ACL and stop by the chat room from time to time to meet a lot of the great people on ACL.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you are involved in a great project and we look forward to seeing your creation, i hope you post some video of the end result. Anyway you will find some great help here and also in the chat room so feel free to ask anything that your not sure about.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL.
Sounds like a cool project but as the ACL motto goes "pictures or it didn't happen" :)

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

There are no dumb questions in these forums or in the chat room, so ask away.
We are still learning all the time how far we can push the RGB side of the hobby.

I hopefully can look forward to seeing a video of your finished project and even some progress stages.