the journey has started

joeyschinella

New elf
my journey has kicked off , first order done with Controller / power supply / receivers

so next step is buying pixels .
im going with 5v WS2811
is there anything i need to make sure of
IP rating
dia
i guess just need a go to supplier

can strings be cut to suit prop configuration
if so, any special end of line connection

thanks

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Some people will pay a little extra to get custom lengths made, but beware of the language barrier and make sure your requests/instructions are crystal clear to the vendor. Otherwise I think most people would buy in bundles of 50 and splice together as required for the props. Up to you if you want to get connectors added per bundle of 50 (again this may cost a little extra) but then gives you a bunch of connectors spare as you'll likely not use every one per prop.

Adsy

Full time elf
Looks like there is a couple of pre-buys from local distributors coming up. Light it up leds provides great service.
If you are confident with soldering you can make your own custom strings but as mentioned most purchase as strings of 50 with waterproof connectors of choice. Regarding connectors Ray Wu and X connect are most popular

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
my journey has kicked off , first order done with Controller / power supply / receivers

so next step is buying pixels .
im going with 5v WS2811
is there anything i need to make sure of
IP rating
dia
i guess just need a go to supplier

can strings be cut to suit prop configuration
if so, any special end of line connection

thanks
Pick a connector type and stick with it don't have multiple types, believe me that is a pain in the butt down the track.