This is how to build pixel power supplies for real!

plasmadrive

Full time elf
This really is for pixels in someone house.. just not mine..

Those are 1500 watt 48vdc Cosel power supplies..

Attachments

• 20141022_152456.jpg
    20141022_152456.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 227

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Somebody's getting serious about the Christmas lights competition!

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
nice wiring job, did they say what it was for ?

Got to love the breakers for the +V side.... I wonder what they are rated at and if they are GFI
At least they look like breakers to me....

-Blu

AussieDoug

Full time elf
wow that looks so neat, makes mine even look messy. Not sure why it's hooked straight from the input side of the breaker to the black socket though, sort of pointless having breakers.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Neat wiring job. Over here you'd need to provide insulation where the mains wiring crosses the ELV wiring though.

Are they mains style breakers on the ELV outputs? I've never looked to see if they are recommended for ELV and DC use.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
bluzervic said:
nice wiring job, did they say what it was for ?

Got to love the breakers for the +V side.... I wonder what they are rated at and if they are GFI
At least they look like breakers to me....

-Blu

Thanks,
they re breakers rated for DC.. They are 20 amp breakers. No GFI because there is no ground reference..

plasmadrive

Full time elf
AussieDoug said:
wow that looks so neat, makes mine even look messy. Not sure why it's hooked straight from the input side of the breaker to the black socket though, sort of pointless having breakers.

Thanks,

Breakers are on the DC side so we can size the wire for more along the lines of what we need for each section. Those are not sockets.. they are LED pilot lights to indicate which supplies are on.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
Neat wiring job. Over here you'd need to provide insulation where the mains wiring crosses the ELV wiring though.

Are they mains style breakers on the ELV outputs? I've never looked to see if they are recommended for ELV and DC use.

Thanks David,

I don't have the mains crossing the DC.. the DC wiring is in the air. All wire is rated for 600V and there is no Class 2 wiring in here.. only class 1. (NEC). Here I am allowed to cross if I wanted to because they are not different classes of wiring and the min voltage rating of the wire exceeds the highest voltage in the panel.

The breakers are rated for DC. I am using them to control wire size to the field. These will go to DC-DC converters that are built into the art work.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Nice job on that! I built panels like this for a few years and still do for myself or special orders for people. I love the clean looks and it really gives you a great feeling of personal accomplishment when you build things like this.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
beeiilll said:
Nice job on that! I built panels like this for a few years and still do for myself or special orders for people. I love the clean looks and it really gives you a great feeling of personal accomplishment when you build things like this.

Thanks.. and yes it does! I love building one off panels...