Time running out for this newbie

angela moore

New elf
okay, here are my problems: I brought a Alphapix 16 and 4 controllers. i used a calculator to figure out how many led stripes for my house outline I calculated that I will need 5 dmx universes. but this isn't including my 3 small matrixes on the second floor and I didn't add bats on roof, nor the arcs and tombstones in yard. the house outline is 2367 dmx channels the alpha 16 plug and play kit has only 350 watts of power, will I need to buy more power? if so where and how? my house is 2 story but not big. because I need 5 universe i realized I cant use Alpha4 controller, but the 16 will have too much waste? I read you cant use the same controller for different items like the bats and the maxtrixes, or is It still possible to use the other universe left on the 16 for the props? I will appreciate any help I can get. I added house setup and excel calculations.Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 11.12.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 11.12.09 PM.png
    226 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.12.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 1.12.14 PM.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 12

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Firstly you can use whatever props on whatever output of a controller suits your needs.
The power is going to depend on 5V or 12V pixels.
By 2367 dmx channels it sounds like you're going to have 789 pixels. This "should" give you a total theoretical maximum current of 43.4A (pixels time 0.055A each). For 5V that would need 217W. For 12V it's 520W.
No idea on the specs of any of the Alphapix controllers but from a channel capacity you should be able to handle 789 pixels from either 1 or 2 outputs. It's when you're powering the pixels entirely from the controller then you need to use more outputs. If each of your 2 controllers had a power supply on it it should be pretty easy to handle your power requirements.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I was in your shoes back in 2015 when I started with pixels. No expert like some of the folks here but I'd be happy to spend some time on the phone if you want. My first year with pixels I found a little bit of time on the phone with ACL member bluzervic helped me tremendously to get a grasp on things. Someone is usually in chat and can answer most of your questions as well. Just drop by chat and ask away

angela moore

New elf
Firstly you can use whatever props on whatever output of a controller suits your needs.
The power is going to depend on 5V or 12V pixels.
By 2367 dmx channels it sounds like you're going to have 789 pixels. This "should" give you a total theoretical maximum current of 43.4A (pixels time 0.055A each). For 5V that would need 217W. For 12V it's 520W.
No idea on the specs of any of the Alphapix controllers but from a channel capacity you should be able to handle 789 pixels from either 1 or 2 outputs. It's when you're powering the pixels entirely from the controller then you need to use more outputs. If each of your 2 controllers had a power supply on it it should be pretty easy to handle your power requirements.[/QU

angela moore

New elf
Thank you AAH for responding that fast. I brought the kits which has the controller with the 350 watts power supply all enclose in a weather proof box.When you say "powering the pixels entirely from the controller then you need to use more outputs" are you saying that the controller can power the strips also?

angela moore

New elf
I was in your shoes back in 2015 when I started with pixels. No expert like some of the folks here but I'd be happy to spend some time on the phone if you want. My first year with pixels I found a little bit of time on the phone with ACL member bluzervic helped me tremendously to get a grasp on things. Someone is usually in chat and can answer most of your questions as well. Just drop by chat and ask away

thank you for your response back. I will take you up on phone call, cause I am so confused.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.