Tips for viewing/remembering video tutorials

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
As part of this hobby you seem to have to watch a lot of videos to learn the tricks of the trade. They are sometimes lengthy and cover parts that you already understand. Don't get me wrong, whilst they do take time to watch, they are an invaluable tool for learning and sharing info.

I was watching one last night on youtube and I discovered that I could increase the play speed x 1.25. This was still easy to follow and took less time so it was a win/win. This made me think maybe there are other tricks that I don't know about (and I don't want to watch another video to find them out). How do other people take in these videos. Do you take notes, so you don't have watch it again. Can you group your favourites. Can you save sub sections of videos.

Any tips. Or is it just fast facts, free equals suck it up and be thankful for any help others are willing to give you.

Thanks. Roy.

Skunberg

Full time elf
Never thought about speeding up a video. Should have as I used to speed up lecture tapes.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Yeah, suck it up and be thankful :)

What I tend to do is snip a freeze frame if I need to, make a note book and then save a link for later reference.
All of this will go into a folder of its own which will be in a sub folder.

I also take photos of everything I build at every step, so I can both look back if I need to repair or recreate and also share step by step instructions later.

As far as speeding up, I never thought of that, I just drag the slider along to bypass some of the unimportant bits.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I just download everything - same bandwidth as watching it and then edit it later to keep the good bits.

JDownloader works brilliant on any YouTube video (version 2).