Tis the season

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
Hi everyone :)

I have been sitting on the fence the last few years on this as I was not sure what direction I wanted to head technology wise. I would like to eventually enter some competitions in the area

I have looked through the manual and I have lots of small stage experience with DMX so I am leaning towards that protocol.

I am looking into setting up a system for 2018 that consists mainly of DMX as its what I am familiar with. After reading the manual and looking through the alibaba stores I think something like a E1.31 network breaking out into several DMX512 networks would be wise as it allows quite a lot of flexibility with some existing stage fixtures I own ( lasers + Foggers ) I am looking mainly for quite a clean geometrical setup that follows house lines with wall washers.

Is Ray Wu's ali baba store still worth checking out for these parts or should I be looking elsewhere? I know from buying LED in the automotive market its tough to find good quality gear that is reliable so the best people to ask are the ones that already own it!

My budget will be around the 3k range for the first year

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Where in oz are you. If you can find someone nearby and see the equipment up close and personal it will really help. Make sure you get to the mini and if possible hold off buying anything material until then. You will learn a lot and it will change your mind. Also checkout chat and Zoom and ask lots of questions.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There are many E1.31 controllers that drive pixels that also have DMX outputs which would be your best path as running pixels in DMX will chew up universes very quickly