Transmitting

Tynkerbelle

New elf
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have never done anything like this before so I am finding lots of things very confusing till I physically do it and then it makes sense.
So I need to by an FM transmitter. Do I plug that into my laptop and then I set up some sort of stereo or something and set it to the respective frequency and that is what is connected to the speakers ? So I could potentially just use an old iPad or something and Bluetooth to speakers out the front ?

scamper

Dedicated elf
you use an fm transmitter so people in their cars can listen. I use a little stereo out the front so people not in cars can also listen, however if you try and go down the route of using bluetooth you will find it has lag and won't sync very well.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Transmitters are good so people in cars can tune their radio and listen.
It also helps to distribute audio to a speaker in the yard by turning to the same FM station.

An FM transmitter takes an audio in and transmits on the frequency you select.
Audio comes from your show player.

Tynkerbelle

New elf
you use an fm transmitter so people in their cars can listen. I use a little stereo out the front so people not in cars can also listen, however if you try and go down the route of using bluetooth you will find it has lag and won't sync very well.
Okay, so avoid the Bluetooth. So I find speakers with a long cable to connect to my laptop ?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
My setup: Laptop running xSchedule - audio out into an FM Transmitter (Tx) (eg: CZE-05B)
Cars can tune their radios to listen to the music
A PA type speaker which has an FM radio in it. Located near front of property for people who walk up to listen.

If you are using a Pi running FPP to run your show, you'll need a USB sound card (eg: Soundblaster Play! 3) plugged into the Pi then the FM Tx connected to output of sound card

Tynkerbelle

New elf
Audio out from the computer into the transmitter.
Either headphone connector out or a USB sound device out.

Are you wanting people in their cars to tune the radio and listen, or just have speakers on your property?
I didn’t even know until recently that using the car radios was a thing. I just assumed speakers in the yard. I like the idea. But its not a necessity.

Tynkerbelle

New elf
My setup: Laptop running xSchedule - audio out into an FM Transmitter (Tx) (eg: CZE-05B)
Cars can tune their radios to listen to the music
A PA type speaker which has an FM radio in it. Located near front of property for people who walk up to listen.

If you are using a Pi running FPP to run your show, you'll need a USB sound card (eg: Soundblaster Play! 3) plugged into the Pi then the FM Tx connected to output of sound card
Okay. That makes sense. Thank you

Cranzy

Full time elf
Last year I got an old stereo system on facebook marketplace for like $10. I just place that close to my garage doors inside and have long speaker wires going to the speakers outside in the plants and tune that to the station I am transmitting on.
I might change to amplifier and put up outdoor speakers this year .. if i get to that :p

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
For me, over 90% of visitors arrive in cars, most stay in them, watch a few songs then drive off to the next Christmas light house. So an FM Tx is a must have for me.

If you want to get fancy, like @marmalade did, you can have the speaker out front connected to a button. Visitors press the button for the speaker to work for a set time. This way your speakers are not blaring out music all night annoying the neighbours. :)