Troubleshooting P2 - Output 2 flickering/on solid white

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hi Guys,
I am loath to post this, but it’s day 3 of troubleshooting in the heat and I need some fresh ideas. I know this is also a crappy time to be troubleshooting (trust me, would prefer to not be doing this), so please don’t remind me. :D
I have an ecg-p2 running 2 strings of pixicles (WS2811 @ 12v) – one each off the 2 outputs (1 string around a gazeebo, the other over the garage peak). 2 separate power supplies, one for each output. The power supply on output 1 powers the board. Power to pixicles doesn’t come through board, pixicles directly connected to power supply.
The pixicles on output 2 started flickering but now they just stay on white since I’ve been trying to troubleshoot. These problems are just with the board on and trying to run the inbuilt test pattern, haven’t tried any other software yet.
Here’s the steps I’ve taken to troubleshoot:
Swapped cable from output 1 to 2 – functions fine, problem follows cable from output 2.
Tried null pixel, didn’t work (cable length is 5m).
Created whole new cable for output 2 – functioned ok once, doesn’t work anymore.
Confirmed that common on both power supplies is connected.
Tried running all pixels from 1 power supply (confirmed 1 supply could handle it), didn’t work.
Currently run output 1 @ 3000kbps, tried output 2 from 2000 down to 100, didn’t work.
I am reading through heaps of other troubleshooting threads to find something else to try. Any ideas? Thanks heaps. :D

mborg10

Michael Borg
Does your ground from you PSU tie back to the board. The video I watched from j1sys even though not running power through the board he still connected the ground wire.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3657.0.html

Also how thick and how long is the power cable. I had issues on my mega tree running 2 meters of thin power cable

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You will need output 2 set to around 3000-3200. It will never work down at 100 and I doubt that it will work at 2000.
The size of the cable is probably the single biggest issue with pixels. Security cable is rubbish and can be used for data but pretty much shouldn't be used for powering pixels.
As a test of whether a problem is power related I tell people to fade the pixels up from black to white with da_e131. If you can fade up to a certain point and then pixels start to get pink then that is an indication that the volts are low at that point and if you also find that pixels latch on or become unresponsive at a certain point then that is also an indication that the voltage is lacking.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Agree with Alan, set both of them to 3200, i know J1Sys say with the P12s speeds or 3200, 3555 or 4000 work with the 2811 pixels,

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Thank you so much for your help guys.

Michael, that video you linked to was great. And seemed to have solved the problem. Tied the ground as described in the video and bingo.

Thanks for the other tips too guys. Will look at the speed as well to push it higher.

Thanks again. :)

Jimbo

Full time elf
Just a quick question.

I tie the - on the p2 output as well. But I am powering my p2's with separate 1amp power packs. I did this to ensure they wouldn't blow up.

Could this be causing ghosting because the negatives are from different power supplies?

Boof63

Senior elf
also consider speed down to around 2400, have tried higher speeds
and always has caused problems (lead out around 3-5 metres)
Will keep in mind those higher speeds others have posted
should I have problems
PS lights are up ,sequencing not finished and not tried connecting any up
yet so don't panic-:) ....much!
Cheers Boof63

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hi guys, thought I would just add a "part 2" to my solution, especially if someone reads through this in future. After fist pumping the air thinking it was problem solved, tried running in Vixen and problems surfaced again. Noticed the power wire running a bit warm, so took the other advice and ran a thicker gauge wire for power and bingo that's worked.
Thanks again for all the advice. :)