Tutorial: Custom models and whole house model. 7pm MST, 9pm EST

smeighan

Dedicated elf

Nutcracker Tutorial Topic: Custom Models
When: Thursday, July 24th. 7pm MST, 9pm EST

We will go over custom models for both RGB and non RGB lights.
We will look at how you can create a model that encompasses your entire display. With this super model you can do effects (like bars, spirals .etc) across your whole house.

We will be using teamviewer. Ill start session at 6:45pm MST

Please join the meeting, by clicking on this link:
http://go.teamviewer.com/v9/m93271823

Meeting ID: m93-271-823

If you have a microphone, click on the "Voice over IP" on the Teamviewer menu and unmute your headphone to be able to ask questions.

sean

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
FOR AUSTRALIA

Nutcracker Tutorial Topic: Custom Models
When: Friday, July 25th. 11am AEST,

We will go over custom models for both RGB and non RGB lights.
We will look at how you can create a model that encompasses your entire display. With this super model you can do effects (like bars, spirals .etc) across your whole house.

We will be using teamviewer. Ill start session at 10:45am AEST

Please join the meeting, by clicking on this link:
http://go.teamviewer.com/v9/m93271823

Meeting ID: m93-271-823

If you have a microphone, click on the "Voice over IP" on the Teamviewer menu and unmute your headphone to be able to ask questions.

sean

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
Unfortunately I could not get on as the number of concurrent users for team-viewer was maxed.

This is a great step for Xlights/Nutcracker and I would love to see the tutorial.

Please post video as soon as possible.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I just watched the tutorial. Thanks Sean, it just opened my eyes to a whole new world. I had one question I couldn't work out as you went through the whole house model. With the channel allocation in the whole house model you just set the start channel. I can understand how it works like you said when your controller can span universes for a pixel. What do you do if your controller can't span universes on a pixel. How do you get around the 2 unused channels in each universe when setting up the model.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
BundyRoy said:
I just watched the tutorial. Thanks Sean, it just opened my eyes to a whole new world. I had one question I couldn't work out as you went through the whole house model. With the channel allocation in the whole house model you just set the start channel. I can understand how it works like you said when your controller can span universes for a pixel. What do you do if your controller can't span universes on a pixel. How do you get around the 2 unused channels in each universe when setting up the model.

everything comes back to the setup page. notice on setup that the channels are consequtibe with no gaps. 512 channels/universe or 510/universe. one up channels fill all.

all you need to know is the total nodes in your model and what node your model starts on.

to get the starting node take the start channel of your model and do this

start node for a given model =1+ (start channel of model -1) /3

so if my model starts at 544 my starting node (in absolute terms) would be 182

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Hope this helps with using Excel to create and sort large numbers easily, relatively speaking.
Happy to answer any questions..

Attachments

• Excel tutorial..docx
    828.6 KB · Views: 19

thevikester

Apprentice elf
So if I understand the whole house model, when I am creating this via a spreadsheet to start...I must account for every node...so if I have a 50 by 50 mega tree on the left, I have 2500 cells filled in, and if my house is to the right of that...I just keep working to the right of my tree on my spreadsheet.

One other thing while I'm at it...for a window outline, let say that has 60 nodes, how do I lay that out in the spreadsheet? I think my mind is fighting the concept...I watched the tutorial a couple times, so I think the simplicity that Sean is describing with just a few rows of nodes in an attempt to make it easy to understand is what is making me question this...thanks in advance

smeighan

Dedicated elf
i made a whole house model with matrix and megatrees. for your window, just leave spaces in the spreadsheet. the custom model will only lightup where you put numbers.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
thevikester said:
So if I understand the whole house model, when I am creating this via a spreadsheet to start...I must account for every node...so if I have a 50 by 50 mega tree on the left, I have 2500 cells filled in, and if my house is to the right of that...I just keep working to the right of my tree on my spreadsheet.

One other thing while I'm at it...for a window outline, let say that has 60 nodes, how do I lay that out in the spreadsheet? I think my mind is fighting the concept...I watched the tutorial a couple times, so I think the simplicity that Sean is describing with just a few rows of nodes in an attempt to make it easy to understand is what is making me question this...thanks in advance
Hi, just draw the window pattern, square/rectangle or waht-ever, on the spreadsheet with the number sequence as laid out in the models/setup page[font=tahoma, sans-serif]. Sean went to that list to find the order that Xlights generated. Check and you will see that his three tree models followed each other in node numbers so the same has to happen in the whole house model, hope this explains.[/font]

thevikester

Apprentice elf
Hi, just draw the window pattern, square/rectangle or waht-ever, on the spreadsheet with the number sequence as laid out in the models/setup page. Sean went to that list to find the order that Xlights generated. Check and you will see that his three tree models followed each other in node numbers so the same has to happen in the whole house model, hope this explains.

I will take a look at it tonite when I get home...I appreciate the response..

thevikester

Apprentice elf
Okay...so I have another question on this...if a person (me) has 6 arches, running across the front of the display, and then has 8 mini trees behind that, but each mini tree has 8 strings of 8 nodes. When doing the excel spread sheet, the numbers for 6 arches with 28 nodes each, only goes 28 squares wide, by 6 high, my mini trees each go 8 high, and 8 wide...my hang up is on the spreadsheet, which placement does dictate on sweeps, my mini trees are going to appear to be MUCH wider than my 6 arches, but this isnt the case in reality....what is the work around for that? can I leave spaces between squares for my Arches? 1 2 3 4 as opposed to 1234?

Thanks!

smeighan

Dedicated elf
thevikester said:
Okay...so I have another question on this...if a person (me) has 6 arches, running across the front of the display, and then has 8 mini trees behind that, but each mini tree has 8 strings of 8 nodes. When doing the excel spread sheet, the numbers for 6 arches with 28 nodes each, only goes 28 squares wide, by 6 high, my mini trees each go 8 high, and 8 wide...my hang up is on the spreadsheet, which placement does dictate on sweeps, my mini trees are going to appear to be MUCH wider than my 6 arches, but this isnt the case in reality....what is the work around for that? can I leave spaces between squares for my Arches? 1 2 3 4 as opposed to 1234?

Thanks!
yes, leave spaces to help get things to line up

thanks
sean