Unicast or Multicast

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
Hello, since i am dedicating a lot of time reading some good "literature" regarding E1.31 at this point some doubts are coming to me. I have two P12r and i'm planning to buy two Alphapix 4, all of them running around 7000 Channels. Should i use Multicast or Unicast?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would just use multicast as its a lot less effort to setup, only if you see issues then I would use unicast. 7000 channels for e1.31 is not really a lot of channel, so I doubt you would see any issues with controllers being overloaded with network traffic

multicast

Senior elf
"Controllers" send Data in E1.31, "Devices" receive them.

A Controller is unlikely to over-run itself.

multicast

Senior elf
rvenegas said:
Hello, since i am dedicating a lot of time reading some good "literature" regarding E1.31 at this point some doubts are coming to me. I have two P12r and i'm planning to buy two Alphapix 4, all of them running around 7000 Channels. Should i use Multicast or Unicast?

Multicast is by far the best way to run things if you can. Ideally you'll have an ethernet switch that is multicast aware. Normally in the documentation it will say things like "IGMP-snooping"

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
multicast said:
rvenegas said:

Multicast is by far the best way to run things if you can. Ideally you'll have an ethernet switch that is multicast aware. Normally in the documentation it will say things like "IGMP-snooping"

Good to know, my first display two years ago was configured in Multicast (last year i did not run any display outside of home). Now, this year i'm starting reading and i found some document regarding E1.31. After reading i was confused thinking maybe it was a mistake running using Multicast. Now this is clear and i will keep using it.
This year i will use an spare switch TP-LINK Gigabit 24 ports, i think it is good enough.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
multicast said:
"Controllers" send Data in E1.31, "Devices" receive them.

A Controller is unlikely to over-run itself.

I think most people know them as controllers because they control their lights and its in a language that most DIYers will understand. Not sure why it was so important for you to point that out as it makes no difference to the average DIYer even though you are technically correct.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
I think the alphapix is unicast only. If you want to do multicast, you will have to pick different device. It is not a high concern for me (I ran three alphapix this past season), just something to know.

Phrog30

New elf
MikeKrebs said:
I think the alphapix is unicast only. If you want to do multicast, you will have to pick different device. It is not a high concern for me (I ran three alphapix this past season), just something to know.
I've heard the same thing. I see it on the to do list, but I don't think it's been resolved.

James

Phrog30

New elf
rvenegas said:
My opinion, if you like the alphapix 4, just get the PixLite 4. They are proven, well over the alphapix.

James

multicast

Senior elf
Phrog30 said:
rvenegas said:
My opinion, if you like the alphapix 4, just get the PixLite 4. They are proven, well over the alphapix.

James

In deed. Or a Falcon. its good to support people who actually developed their products....

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Choose controllers based on props, so you can move things around if need be and size them based on number of pixels.

I use pixlite 4's, 16's and have a Falcon for my future matrix.

As far as Unicast VS Multicast. I use Unicast, it is easy enough to manage. You will have less Broadcast traffic with unicast.

Think of it as one to one Versus one to many

-Blu

multicast

Senior elf
bluzervic said:
As far as Unicast VS Multicast. I use Unicast, it is easy enough to manage. You will have less Broadcast traffic with unicast.

Think of it as one to one Versus one to many

-Blu

Unicast --> One to One
Multicast --> One to those who want to listen
Broadcast ---> One to everybody

Multicast is NOT the same as Broadcast. the amoutnt of broadcast traffic on a network is unlikely to have anything to do with if you are using Multicast or Unicast to carry your sACN data around.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I might be wrong but the amount of traffic will just about always be lower and easier with multicast (with 1 proviso). Probably the major difference is if you have universes assigned but don't have a device that is actively receiving them. What occurs then is basically packets running around madly saying the equivalent of "pick me, pick me" and with all of the devices not wanting the data. With unicast if the data doesn't match the IP then it gets sent on the way.
With multicast there are 2 types of switch/router. With IGMP snooping routers/switches they remember who wanted what universe data and they will filter off the excess that has no home. With non IGMP snooping routers/switches this is where lots of data can get sent that is excess to the requirements as they will send out data to all the devices to see if they have any interest in grabbing the packets.
If you plan on using multicast, which is actually dead easy to use, then it's best to use an IGMP snooping router/switch.

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
AAH said:
What occurs then is basically packets running around madly saying the equivalent of "pick me, pick me" and with all of the devices not wanting the data. With unicast if the data doesn't match the IP then it gets sent on the way.

Well explained AAH.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
while my display use's the same network as all the household computers,
Unicast is best for my setup.
i have noticed that if the rasp pi is sending data to a unicast ip thats not there, there will be issues in stuttering.
besides that i ran 50,000 channels last year nicely..
an could still stream stuff to the tv sets without issues..

i tryed multicast an basicly the whole house network fell over an died till i turned it off..

i also have all my gear with set IP numbers, so it made things a no brainer to me..

but everyone to there own setup realy