upgrade Mega tree controller box

bpratt

Senior elf
As many of you have seen the HP 1200 psu's have absolutely skyrocketed in price over the last couple of years, and came across these ones that Martin Pascoe talked about 1975w 12v psu's.

They're around the $85 mark too, so pretty good value if you ask me.

You just need to jumper across two pins on the multi pin header (bottom row, 3 hole from the left and 2nd hole from the right).

They are quite a chunky psu, so they won't fit in the normal "Bud Box" that most of us want to use, 270 x 120 x 120mm is the approximate dimensions of this psu.

As they are a server psu, the fan is quite loud inside the house, and pretty powerful too.

Since that fan works so very well, I think it would be best that I should mount this psu vertically, with the fan on the bottom to suck the air in from the bottom of the enclosure and upwards.

As I said earlier, the existing budbox I have won't fit it in, as they are 290mm x 390mm x 160mm , as it won't leave me with enough space for the f16v3 and expansion card or the fuse distribution boards. The 2 current HP 1200w psu's I'll then have as spares for my other DSE hibox/budbox.

I'm considering one of these two.

I'm looking for some direction/pushing towards one of these or even a completely different one.

I'm also posting this in here because I'm sure others might be considering something similar because of the price increases on the HP psu's, of if like me, you no longer have any spare HP psu's should things fail leading up to Christmas.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
To get around my PSU's for my megatree and many other components not fitting in the same boxes with the controllers, is I have a box they sit in and run wires between the controller box and PSU box.

bpratt

Senior elf
To get around my PSU's for my megatree and many other components not fitting in the same boxes with the controllers, is I have a box they sit in and run wires between the controller box and PSU box.
I was also considering utilising the same box, and a separate box for the PSU too, but felt the current controller box has no done 3 seasons, and considering the vendor lists them as a indoor only box, there was going to be a time that it would need to be replaced.

bpratt

Senior elf
I'm also in the process of upgrading my main controller, which will also control the mega tree. Been looking at these housings:
Ebay Metal IP66 Housing
They are about $30 cheaper and includes shipping.

Thanks for the link. That does give me another option to look at.

Did you see how much the pole mount kit for them is though ? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284539559964 ? $106.50 .... might have to mount them in a different way this time. :)

BluePat

New elf
As many of you have seen the HP 1200 psu's have absolutely skyrocketed in price over the last couple of years, and came across these ones that Martin Pascoe talked about 1975w 12v psu's.

You just need to jumper across two pins on the multi pin header (bottom row, 3 hole from the left and 2nd hole from the right).

They are quite a chunky psu, so they won't fit in the normal "Bud Box" that most of us want to use, 270 x 120 x 120mm is the approximate dimensions of this psu.

As they are a server psu, the fan is quite loud inside the house, and pretty powerful too.

Since that fan works so very well, I think it would be best that I should mount this psu vertically, with the fan on the bottom to suck the air in from the bottom of the enclosure and upwards.

As I said earlier, the existing budbox I have won't fit it in, as they are 290mm x 390mm x 160mm , as it won't leave me with enough space for the f16v3 and expansion card or the fuse distribution boards. The 2 current HP 1200w psu's I'll then have as spares for my other DSE hibox/budbox.

I'm looking for some direction/pushing towards one of these or even a completely different one.

I'm also posting this in here because I'm sure others might be considering something similar because of the price increases on the HP psu's, of if like me, you no longer have any spare HP psu's should things fail leading up to Christmas.
Hope you bought these when you posted, there are now $175 each!!

bpratt

Senior elf
Hope you bought these when you posted, there are now $175 each!!
Yes I did, sure glad I did now.

The intention was to buy them at that price because the HP skyrocketed in pricing.

Got the one I needed to do it, and also grabbed a spare at the same time, glad I did now.

Kavee

New elf
These 49Y7760 PSUs are versatile. A simple jumper can turn down fan speed to half, dramatically reducing the noise at lower power out (900W) or hookup a pot to control fan speed thus lowering the noise. Ideal as a high-capacity remote power injection hub.

Kavee

New elf
I have four DPS-1200BB PSUs pulled from an IBM blade server, but they do not come with a fan and need to mount external fans to keep them cooled. I also have couple of HP PSUs, but they are loud. Not a huge problem as a remote power injection hub, but I like the 49Y7760's capability to change fan speed/noise. Ordered two and waiting.

tooms

12v4life
I would try and find a more common server PSU, I believe the HP 1200w PSU has been eaten up by the *coin miners, I use to install a lot of IBM servers and it was rare to be installing x3850's or x3690's, and it was around 2014-2015 IBM sold it's server business to Lenovo, so they'd be getting old by now.

Kavee

New elf
I would try and find a more common server PSU, I believe the HP 1200w PSU has been eaten up by the *coin miners, I use to install a lot of IBM servers and it was rare to be installing x3850's or x3690's, and it was around 2014-2015 IBM sold it's server business to Lenovo, so they'd be getting old by now.
exactly, and nevertheless the same reasons they are still around to buy at a reasonable price comparing to HPs.

Kavee

New elf

Think outside the "box" (pun intended), you may try a hard/safety case or even a drone case like this,

www.ebay.com.au