Using Helium to lift wifi rgb element

angus40

Senior elf
I know this would be a daily task in that one would be required to fill a balloon prior to show time but I plan to create some elements that can be controlled by viewers that are supported in this fashion.
I will update this thread as I progress .

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
It would need to be a big balloon, I was at a kids birthday party on the weekend and it started to spit (rain) the balloons all fell to the ground unceremoniously once a few drops of water hit them.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kaden said:
It would need to be a big balloon, I was at a kids birthday party on the weekend and it started to spit (rain) the balloons all fell to the ground unceremoniously once a few drops of water hit them.

I would agree that it will take a large balloon or many balloons together to be able to carry the weight of the lights, let alone the controller and then do you plan to have the power supply seperate on terrafirma and not in the air because if you add a small power supply or batteries then all the combined weight would mean you need some serious helium to lift it all up

angus40

Senior elf
I will be using refillable balloons that are designed to hold enough helium to lift a load that is 10kg.
I will also use smaller scale balloons directly inside the prop/element to maintain its shape while airborne. tis will be a fun project that I plan to display for Canada day .
I like the idea of a free floating prop that will get folks scratching their head in awe.

jerrymac

Apprentice elf
A couple of years ago someone (can't remember who) used a white helium balloon (like one of those weather balloons teatherd down and used it as a screen to project his christmas video on. Looked REALLY great. Only worked on windless nights.

angus40

Senior elf
kel said:
How are you planning to get the element back to earth ;)
Hi Kel
Good question . I am thinking on using a trailer -hand crank type reel to lower my props then use end over end hand reels to lower the balloons. ( like the ones used for kites )

angus40

Senior elf
Jago said:
Air Riffle would work.
I am not sure I would like to see how you take down your christmas display !
A D-9 cat perhaps .

Jago

New elf
angus40 said:
Jago said:
Air Riffle would work.
I am not sure I would like to see how you take down your christmas display !
A D-9 cat perhaps .

Um I was joking.

And that's what my main concern would be idiots doing something like that.

I would prob looking at using smaller gauge wire with a switch mode transformer at the top. and driver 24-36v up the line. (all depends how high you are going)