Using siamese cable for pixels - Good or Bad?

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I am doing some research now for next year and was wondering if anyone is using any form of Siamese cable for running data and power to their pixels?
I have looked at some different styles like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siamese-Cat5...item2c929c2231 .

Any pros or cons to think about with using something like this? I know about UV rating concerns, weather ratings and such but was thinking that this might be a nice way to run say 24 VDC along with data to a point? Then a 24 to either 12 or 5 volt buck down converter for the power. The Cat 5E would allow you to use a couple of twisted pairs for differential signals for the distance runs too.

Thoughts on this welcome. It can only help us all to learn!

Bill

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'm about to test something similar tonight. I got one of the new P12D boards from J1SYS which will send 24V data using differential signals and then he sells a board you put on the other end that converts it back down to 5V. I'm just planning on doubling up a twisted pair for the power and ground inside a normal Cat 5e cable like he recommends.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
That is exactly why I posted this thread.
I also have the new P12D board and a few of the receiver boards ( I Got 3 different ones to test) for using the differential outputs for gaining more distance.
I will probably not get to testing things till after the first of the year though due to other things being more important for now.
But I did order a roll of that Siamese wire to play with and see how it works!
Bill

Bird

LOR user
Only suggestion I have is:
For lamp cord .... 'bill@lightyearcable.com' (FYI .. old timer and only order by phone) :)
1,000' Brown 18/2 – SPT-1 Lamp Cord – 300 Volts – VW-1 $86.70 per 1000′
I don't remember what I paid for 1,000' of cat 6 wire.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Nothing wrong with using this type of cable as long as its DC voltage being run through the power cable. It can be a little pricey though but will look neat. But for temporary use outdoors it should last many seasons especially in the US winter

Gilrock

Full time elf
I really don't think those cables are necessary. The PPR-D boards from J1SYS are for 5A 5VDC. That's 25W so at 24VDC it's just over 1A which is fine for two Cat 5E conductors.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
My apologies if I don't seem to get my point across very well (never really have been able to I guess).

I am not just thinking of my P12D or any controller in a specific instance. I am more looking at being able to run distributed power out to sections of a setup along with the data, whether it might be from a P12D as differential output data OR as Network signals to a P2, P12, or 6802 or whatever type controller.
Seems like it would make it easier to have a power supply at one point and run a couple of cables like this out to other areas and feed the controllers and pixels this way rather than having 110 vac run out to that area and then a separate supply at that spot. Yes I do understand about loss, voltage drop, wire size resistance versus distance and a whole slew of other considerations about it.
This allows the Cat 5E part of this cable to be either Network signal or data whichever is needed and keeps things neater. I would also want UV protected cable for my final decision.
I like neat and tidy setups with as little problem areas as possible. I tend to spend much more than most as I try to make all my elements and items as fool proof and long lasting as I can. It is certainly worth it to spend a little more and not have headaches every year when things go wrong (at least to me anyway).

Yes, I could run a massive 8 AWG extension cord to each spot and have several power supplies and controllers at each one with lots of wires and stuff all over the place but am just looking at simpler alternatives if possible.

As I said, just throwing out ideas and seeing what all think I do think that the 18 awg of the power side is too small on that cable though. It would be nice to see 14 awg or even 12 if you wanted to run some bigger stuff on it (but only DC, not AC with that Cat cable in there).

I have 60 amp 5 volt supplies that could push a lot out over it but would need the size cable for that. I also have some big 24 volt supplies that would work better with down converters out at the pixel end.

Just trying to pick brains here and see!