Very new

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Hi all, I've been following LOR (on Facebook) for sometime now, and now just found you guys... I'm very new... Just starting really at all if this, I've been putting up some lights around my house for a few years, but feel it's time to step it up... I'm wondering about controllers, and what people use and what's the easiest, and not too expensive, and a bit closer to home than LOR.. hope someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks again, looking forward to Xmas time... Next year, by the time I get everything. [emoji6]

dale82

Senior elf
Hi AndiK,

Firstly Welcome to ACL, Secondly most of us buy our lights from China which is Cheap as (Pixels) Have you downloaded the 101 manual for a read? if Not I would do that. Also please don't feel overwhelmed by the option of DIY as I have no electrical background at all and I am a regular joe and I created a show.

Also jump into Chat as there is always people there that are willing to help.

Cheers
Dale

AndiK

Apprentice elf
Thanks. Yes I had a read of the 101.. and yes became overwhelmed ;) just not sure where to start, so many choices, and just looks so easy to just plug it all in to a LOR box... Than trying to figure out where to buy what and then how to out it together... But I'm open to help and suggestions. :)

dale82

Senior elf
I know exactly what you mean, One thing you do have to take into consideration is that the AC controllers (240V) are not meant to be switching on and off normal LED lights from Big W, Especially the ones with the little twinkle/flash box and button as they can cause a fire. There is soo much help on the forum and people that are willing to help and show you how things are done.

Where abouts in Vic do you live as there maybe someone nearby that you can go and have a look at the setup. don't let it overwhelm you, gee if I can do a display anyone can.

Cheers

AndiK

Apprentice elf
dale82 said:
I know exactly what you mean, One thing you do have to take into consideration is that the AC controllers (240V) are not meant to be switching on and off normal LED lights from Big W, Especially the ones with the little twinkle/flash box and button as they can cause a fire. There is soo much help on the forum and people that are willing to help and show you how things are done.

Where abouts in Vic do you live as there maybe someone nearby that you can go and have a look at the setup. don't let it overwhelm you, gee if I can do a display anyone can.

Cheers
I'm in Mordialloc.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome59.gif

AndiK

Apprentice elf
AndiK said:
dale82 said:

Cheers
I'm in Mordialloc.
And.... Bugger.. u have a her of lights that are like that.. the Big W/ Bunnings type.. have to research what I can do then..

i13

Dedicated elf
It takes more work to set up for the first time but many of the low voltage light sets can be used with DC control. This is a cheaper option than LOR and you can use it to control the channels within the light sets. The main thing to avoid is light sets with an 8-function controller AND only two wires going to the lights.

You can save a lot of money by avoiding LOR hardware and software but that'll inevitably be put into creating a more extensive Christmas display. Answering your question about which controllers to use for your existing lights, there is a good list of them here
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controllers

It is a good idea to start learning and planning for next year now. It takes a long time and lots of dedication to learn and prepare but it is worth it. You're not starting too soon.

AndiK

Apprentice elf
i13 said:
It takes more work to set up for the first time but many of the low voltage light sets can be used with DC control. This is a cheaper option than LOR and you can use it to control the channels within the light sets. The main thing to avoid is light sets with an 8-function controller AND only two wires going to the lights.

You can save a lot of money by avoiding LOR hardware and software but that'll inevitably be put into creating a more extensive Christmas display. Answering your question about which controllers to use for your existing lights, there is a good list of them here
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controllers

It is a good idea to start learning and planning for next year now. It takes a long time and lots of dedication to learn and prepare but it is worth it. You're not starting too soon.
Thank you.. yes I'm looking towards next Xmas.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome aboard AndiK! Lots of friendly, helpful advice in the forums and in the chat room whenever you need it.
Don't go rushing in for this year, build up the knowledge base and get a plan in your head for elements/projects for next year and kick off with a bang!

AndiK

Apprentice elf
djgra79 said:
Welcome aboard AndiK! Lots of friendly, helpful advice in the forums and in the chat room whenever you need it.
Don't go rushing in for this year, build up the knowledge base and get a plan in your head for elements/projects for next year and kick off with a bang!
Yes for sure... I'm planning for next year for sure.. but yes I need to get a better understanding of what I need to get. I'll be asking heaps of questions.. ;)