Video explanation of cheap mains LED light sets

Discussion in 'Lights - Store Bought and Home Made' started by David_AVD, Nov 12, 2015.

1. David_AVD

David_AVD Good news, everyone!

Here's a video explanation (from a friend of mine) of cheap mains LED light sets.

Clive explains how they work and are wired, as well as why they are dodgy.

! No longer available

2. jstep2001

jstep2001 New Elf

I know this post is old but glad to see another viewer of Clive.

3. DavidJ247

DavidJ247 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    I've just recently discovered bigclive myself, some really interesting videos. One of his latest vids is pretty relevant for us here on acl as it talks about 2 wire christmas lights. Most of the video is about adding a memory chip to hold the function when the controller is powered down, but skip to around 8:40 and he talks about how alternating polarity works and he has an interesting take on why many manufacturers have changed from 3 wire to 2.
    http://youtu.be/S1GyCe5a6mM

4. EmmienLightFan

EmmienLightFan One of few displays in the UK

Find Me On:
    Very interesting.

I saw the first 2 wire string that I have seen here in the UK this year. The flicker was noticeable.

I found a reliable source of 3 wire strings that you over in Australia should also be able to get, connectable lights.

Many companies sell strings of lights which can be daisy chained to others, with a separate transformer and controller.
    Because many of these started with 3 wires, they have to stick to it because otherwise their newer and older stuff would not be compatible.

5. i13

i13 Senior Elf

They just change to a 2 wire connectable setup in 2015 and their new lights are incompatible with the old ones.