Waterproof Connectors for 18AWG Wire

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a good waterproof connector for 18AWG wire to use as an extension lead between my pixels and the controller and power supplies. Ideally I would like something like this - https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/conn...usings-plugs/?searchTerm=waterproof connector - but they can only take wire guages 26 to 22.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can find a good waterproof connector?

Thanks

Max

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
I ordered these Muyi Connectors based on advice from the community. I am using them, however they're yet to be tested outside by me.
From all reports they do the job. I've found they don't particularly work well with the security cable I am using and would be better suited to actual 2 core cable.

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Hey Kate

Not sure what you mean by standard pixel connectors?

I have a pigtail connector which is attached directly to the pixel chain, which terminates in bare wire. I then need to extend that wire to the controller and planned to do it by purchasing copper cabling and adding a waterproof connector to each end of the wire

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Just to clarify, I use the connectors for power injection.
All of my runs from controllers to pixels I use pigtails as the 'connector' and I soldered cable to these pigtails

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
If you are comfortable soldering (If not good skill to pick up in this hobby) then just use standard 3core extension leads ends chopped to your custom length (Bunnings, Kmart, Reject Shop) and soldered/heat shrink to standard pigtails(XConnect/RayWu)IMG_20210825_152336.jpg

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Grozzy - you find that solution stands up to the elements outdoors? I had considered it, but was worried that it wouldn't be waterproof enough

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Capture6.PNG
Colour by numbers :)
This are Ray Wu style waterproof pigtails
1. Data and power into the strings
2. Female connector out to next string, cap if unused
3. 3 pin Ray Wu... Data from controller
4. 2 pin power connector, 5v from power supply

These have stood up to years of duty outside.

P8250138.jpg

Controller to pixel string... make sure you get the M/F round the right way

P8250137.jpg
Underside of the megatree topper for connection to the star with various connections, all have survived.

Cheers
Phil

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
Grozzy - you find that solution stands up to the elements outdoors? I had considered it, but was worried that it wouldn't be waterproof enough
Absolutely I do solder and heat shrink the individual wires and then another tube over the top for good measure. Some people suggest using the glue lined heat shrink which would be even better but I just use the normal one. This will be the 4th year for some of them with no issues. We are lucky we don't have snow and any rain or moisture dries out pretty quick when we hit 39° 🤣

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
If you're worried about the Ray Wu or xConnect connectors not being very waterproof then you could try some CorrosionX on the terminals.

Snowy

Phil
I use what Grozzy uses with Glue filled heat shrink and have had no issues with them at all Make Sure It is glue filled.
Even had a couple immersed in water and where ok. i also use the solder sleeves have thousands of them they can be tricky
i give them a little squeeze before they cool down to make the solder go through the wires .

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
I know not everyone likes these, but they're really handy and easy to use - solder sleeves
I've been using these (well the cheap alibaba version) to fix cuts in the landroid boundary wire, it's been 12 months and it still works... I was looking around to see what everyone else was using, if these work for led joints too, then I have a spare 100 or so of the red ones

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have had ZERO water ingress issues with the Ray Wu connectors for around 5 years. I heat shrink the individual coloured wires, then a 2nd heat shrink over the outer cable.

ezellner

Full time elf
I ordered these Muyi Connectors based on advice from the community. I am using them, however they're yet to be tested outside by me.
From all reports they do the job. I've found they don't particularly work well with the security cable I am using and would be better suited to actual 2 core cable.
I have used these successfully for many years now. My climate has rain and snow and temperatures from about -10 to +15 C while the display is operating.