WeMo

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Anyone used something like the WeMo switches made by Belkin for controlling / turning on and off their displays during the Xmas season. I bought one to try out and it seems to work pretty well (although they are a bit expensive at $75 a pop). So far I just hooked it up to a lamp but from my phone or tablet i can turn things on and off, set a timer. To see if it worked as described I managed to switch the lamp on while out at Bunnings Wharehouse and it was one when I got home. Could be used to turn your display on and off even if away from home.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
That's an interesting find. Harvey Norman au has it listed at $59 the plug connection doesn't look right though. Is this what you have? Could be used for my bubble blower as the WeMo also has motion sensor.
ab42010_1.jpg

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/belkin-wemo-switch.html?gclid=CIuSj76w9bgCFUzQpAodgScAnw

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Yes that's the one although it looks like a US version. I have the NZ/Oz 240v version. Good idea about using the motion sensor version with something like a bubble or snow machine. $59 AU sounds about right ( as NZ dollar worth less hence $79 here).

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just noticed that the WeMo uses IFTTT so you can tell it to do things depending on info it gets from the Internet. For example you tell it to turn lights on at sunset and it gets the sunset time for each day from a weather channel and automatically flicks on the lights. Means that as sunset gets later each day during the Xmas display season, there is no having to reset the turn on time as the WeMo will adjust for the later sunset each day. Clever. I love technology :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I can't seem to find anywhere (not even the Belkin site) that mentions how much current it can handle. I'd be very cautious about using it to switch the typical 350W switch-mode power supplies.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I'll try it out tonight and see what happens :) . Supposed to be able to handle heat pumps, heaters etc. hopefully can handle a power supply but good point.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/belkin-wemo-switch-motion-kit.html
belkinwemo_1.jpeg

Well I went into Harvey Norman today to check this unit out. I found that the motion sensor part of this unit is in fact part of a kit, the hole kit sells for 119.95au. Something else of interest that the specs for the sensor says Compatibility iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod TouchThis must be for the wifi part of this device. hmm ok don't have an iphone or ipad.Went to Bunings and found this for 39.90
41cb72bd-4a90-4d95-8d83-13ad8103292e.jpg
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_sensor-security-brilliant-intelliscanner-3-wire-1763209_P4370690.aspx
Can I modify this to run a bubble blower?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390490726734?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
logandc99 said:
Anyone used something like the WeMo switches made by Belkin for controlling / turning on and off their displays during the Xmas season. I bought one to try out and it seems to work pretty well (although they are a bit expensive at $75 a pop). So far I just hooked it up to a lamp but from my phone or tablet i can turn things on and off, set a timer. To see if it worked as described I managed to switch the lamp on while out at Bunnings Wharehouse and it was one when I got home. Could be used to turn your display on and off even if away from home.
missed this thread.

I was given these radio transmitter style power saving plugs as part of teh Queensland governments Energy saving campaign. (pay $50, they come and install an energy meter, replace your light globes for long life globes and also give you 4 of these plugs.

The remote has 4 buttons, each of which can be programmed to turn on 1 or more of the plugs. I used them last year for my controller, so as soon as my show finished for the night, i just press the number 1 button, and my controller would have its power turned off.

I will be using it again this year as im slack, and i like pressing buttons

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Matt said:
logandc99 said:
missed this thread.

I was given these radio transmitter style power saving plugs as part of teh Queensland governments Energy saving campaign. (pay $50, they come and install an energy meter, replace your light globes for long life globes and also give you 4 of these plugs.

The remote has 4 buttons, each of which can be programmed to turn on 1 or more of the plugs. I used them last year for my controller, so as soon as my show finished for the night, i just press the number 1 button, and my controller would have its power turned off.

I will be using it again this year as im slack, and i like pressing buttons
Hi Matt, I saw something similar to this last year but the one I saw last year you could control many power supplies http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_click-4-outlet-surge-protected-led-remote-powerboard_P4330208.aspx?search=remote+control+powerboard&searchType=any&searchSubType=products
Is this what your using?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
mine is a single outlet. i have 4 seperate ones.. theoretcally you could plug a power board into each and voila. but for me, I only ran 2 extension cords. 1 onto the roof for my controller enclosures with psu's, the other to my snow machine out the front.