What element(s) are you building or installing this week? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm going to be modifying the roof mounts for my props.
Three out of four stayed steady in the huge winds we have, but one moved slightly, the main sandbagged part stayed still, but the front of the prop moved.
Will also spend some more $$$, getting stuff for the megatree build. My topper has arrived, and that's it so far.

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
Promised myself I would start earlier, even ordered lights early, yet here it is November and the fun only just begins,
~Have rotated the Mega Tree base and lifted it 100mm, it puts the viewing area more central and now the mower should go under it, nearly killed the young guy living with us who got roped into the shovel work he he he
~made the frame for the infinity Bethlehem star and finalised the roof fitting, now needs wiring and mirrors etc
~made the frame for the message board /tune to sign, now need to install panels etc etc
~the 'going to do' list includes - tidying up the pixicles to get rid of some ugly wiring, making the starburst (I reckon my young slave will cut for it when the hole digging begins), adding some stockings in the trees out front, adding a new power distribution board and tiding up the speakers. Of course there are new songs to program and adding new props to the existing playlist. But if it doesn't all get done I will be the only one who knows.

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Progress update.

3 coats of rustolium 2x white satin
A whole bunch of blue tape
2 coats white night gloss cherry red

Attachments

• PXL_20221103_072027685.jpg
    PXL_20221103_072027685.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20221103_074204662.jpg
    PXL_20221103_074204662.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20221104_053845126.jpg
    PXL_20221104_053845126.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20221104_054317639.jpg
    PXL_20221104_054317639.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20221104_064146463.jpg
    PXL_20221104_064146463.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21

DarkwinX

Full time elf
I'm hoping to attach some basic lights to the roof joiner tiles, just need to work out how to secure them. The plan still be for next year too use pixels.
Also putting the finishing touches on my smart receiver box.. just need to get some air vents as well!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ok, so I decided to dig the hole to mount the sleeve for my megatree post.
Also bought a decent amount of stuff from Bunnings for it - and realised I haven't done a blinky shop in one hit over $200 for some time. Couldn't remember my damn PIN! Had to use the other card. Fun.

When digging, I found my main water line. Figured it was going to be very close, if not where I dug the hold, based on the location of the meter and the front water tap. Fortunately, I was going slowly and heard the chink. So dug slowly with small trowl to idenfy it. No damage.
Water Main.jpg

Just had to dig the hole slightly to tthe side so that the MT stays in the same spot (clearing the overhead cables).
What a pain. 200mm of nice dirt, then 600mm of clay.
Needless to say, I'm done for the weekend, and my back will NOT forgive me tomorrow.

I Dug A hole.jpg

The dogs decided to come have a look. The sausage was threatened that this would be a vertical grave should he misbehave :D

grave.jpg

christmasdave

Full time elf
Only my second year but I decided to add a few extra things to the house. Feeling like I’ve bit off more than I can chew, it I know I’ll get it done!

so far I’ve replaced my arches with 3 ring arches, added some snowflakes, extra lights on the roof and mega tree, added some mini trees and candy canes, and a couple more singing faces. I’ve changed my pillars to the vertical matrices and added a pixel matrix over a window. I also have a new star for the mega tree.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Most props are finished apart from the Virtual Matrix Lid. Hopefylly I will be able to finish the paint job and "waterproof" it as best I can. Other than that, sequencing, sequencing and some more sequencing :)

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
Trying to do the quick flip - out with Halloween and in with Christmas... still have to do the porch, driveway arch, and hedge.

Then, try to do a few sequences for Veteran's day. Not gonna be perfect but I think it'll work.

Then gradually connect new stuff to the layout... a few things left to build for xmas. Trying to figure out the best way to place modestly large numbers of pixel stakes or tree tubes. Need to put some power to the priem cubes. Need to frame up the wings, make the button pedestal, get the pars back out in the yard, that sort of thing.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
In an effort to preplan the last of my big required elements I sorted pixels to make sure I had enough. In a previous effort to make sure I did not use too many 100 strings I used too many 50 strings. :/ Now, some later props will be slightly inefficient in stringing but there is enough. The last required elements will be 4 mini-trees with stars.

In the meantime, I put this stack of 10 flakes together this week.
FlakeStack.jpg

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Megatree sleeve is now concreted in. Well, at least it's poured and setting.
mt-post-1.jpgmt-post-2.jpg

It'll be cut down just below the black collar, which is an irrigation valve box, with a green cap. This will sit slightly below the final level of the grass.
Off-season, the pole comes out, the cap goes on, and no one is the wiser.

Also made a second 4 channel CBus relay box for my mains power control that integrates with the rest of the house. This will run my TuneTo, Transmitter and Amplifier, and is being controlled from FPP. That's it sitting on the bottom right side.

1668222770514.png

Had a bit of fun getting the 4 channels from that box, plus the 4 channels in the main box all feeding into Iotawatt for power monitoring, and one overall channel. So I'll be able to see exactly the peak loads as well as total kWh used by the show over the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.