What element(s) are you building or installing this week? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
What on earth is this ? Please explain
Kind of like these two examples below. I just did see some garden edging in bunning that might make it easier, so I'm thinking of using that instead of conduit.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Megatree upgrade is priority 1 this year. Converting from single pole that has to be lifted in/out of place fully loaded with pixels to now a winch/pulley mechanism that raises the topper to lift strands into place. Final tweaks being done by @burnt as I don't have metalworking skills so massive thanks to Stu for all his help.
Pixels bought, megatree strip bought, new controller box build in progress.
If time/energy permits may also upgrade to add gutter matrix to replace existing single strip of nodes.

videoman3857

Full time elf
What's a Midi Pixel tree?
At the moment, (things change with time) it is to be a mid sized pixel tree. 3.3mtr high. I am trying to develop an interactive system where the user can play a keyboard and activate the lights, but my extremely limited electronic skills are holding me back when it comes to pixels. I had developed a very small experimental RGB Tree which worked, but I thought Pixel might be more colourful, but it may end up in the too hard basket.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Window frames up and mounted today. As well as the ridge lines (just visible in the 1st pic).
Also finished off the last bits of my main control box, including labels.

house-all.jpg

bedwindows.jpg
loungewindows.jpg
controlbox.jpg

battle79

Full time elf
1. Dropped off the mega tree top frame to my fabricator (brother) to get it increased from 16 to 24 strands.
2. Added GPOs to all Controller locations removing need for extension leads. -Done
3. Ran data outlets to all controller locations again removing random data cables running everywhere. - Done
4. Rework Small tree to be 180 rather than 360 for better effects.
5. Rebuild mega tree controller to handle 24 strands of 150 pixels.
6. Push pixels for the bauble that I got from the xmas mini.
7. Oh, and trying my best to look like i'm working a full time job.

yoyo

New elf
Just started pushing pixels today got 9 triple row arches to do 150 each 6 mini trees still need to add more strips to megatree waiting on lights should be here next week just waiting on 2 props to turn up fan arch and bluey from extreme lighting seems freight takes so long to get here these days

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Almost finished my P5 panel. Got the painting done last night, reassembled it all today and siliconed up the front plexiglass.
Just need to put a back on it, and it's done.
Really simple one, 3x P5 indoors totalling 192x32 resolution, each panel with it's own cable back to a Hanson Octascroller on a BBG, one panel per port.

It will end up with two hooks on the top to hang from the ceiling on my front verandah, will have the same two hooks into the rafters, and some carabiners to attach it.

p5panel.jpg

Last edited:

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Interesting to read/see what you've been up to, so far! :) What's planned for this weekend, anything display related? Are you building anything new or starting to hang lights outside?

As for me, the remaining new GS8208 pixels in my 2022 order have turned up, yay 😁 . These strings were made to a shorter length as I'll need quite a few of them for some new elements ... 34 strings total, in fact (spread over multiple elements).

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
And the pushing continues! One of the new elements that needed 16 pixels per string are these coro arches (also from Extreme Lighting Displays). They're actually the small arch segments but with two segments overlapped. I thought they looked a bit too height without overlapping for how I plan to use them. As the below photo shows, they'll be used as garden bed edging (on the front side only). I put them outside temporarily this evening to see how they might look:

I used to use ropelights for edging but some of them are faulty now. After seven or so seasons though, that's a good innings. (Although only half as good as the LED light strings that I put in the bushes as those are going on 14 years old and still working!). When I went looking for ropelight replacements, they were getting harder to find online, especially at DC24V to match existing lights and not DC36V. And that's how I arrived at using small arches instead. Anyway, that's the backstory o_O.

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
Building? practically everything... Power supply boxes, data distribution boxes, mini pixel trees that are actually just pixels on a $4 Kmart tree, photo spot backdrop fame, and so much more. Mostly just remote controllers and power right now.

Installing? nothing... I have a about 10 days in late November to put everything up.

Dr.Venture

New elf
Finishing the 8' x 4' 800 pixel Matrix. Now to build a frame to hold the matrix up. Not hanging it on the house or a fence, it will be a stand alone in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.