What is trim post for on power supply?

Lampy

New elf
Hi, i found a couple of power supplies lying around that i would like to utilise to power some 5v led digital strip.
They have 240v in from one side just live and neutral, no earth. And the other side has V+, V- and trim. Have attached link to the actual psu. What is trim?

http://www.datasheetdir.com/KAM2505+Power-Modules

thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The trim potentiometer (pot) typically allows you to adjust the output voltage up or down about 10%. For a 5V supply for instance you could probably adjust between about 4.5V and 5.5V.

Lampy

New elf
Ah i see! So in the case of the enclosed unit i have which only has a post for soldering onto a motherboard out of it. If i opened up the case there would probably be an adjustment pot inside?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The 1st time I opened the link it was a fail. On the 2nd time I followed a link to get the pdf. On the last page of it there are resistor vales that can be used for trimming the volts up or down.

Lampy

New elf
Thanks! I get ya! So my strip is digital and has three connections. +5v, gnd and data. If i wanted to use one of these units to inject 5v+, could i just connect the single +5v from the unit and not use the -5v or trim? I currently have seperate signal cable to the strip which also carries gnd to the gnd connection from a dmx module?
cheers