What other sequencers do the LSP style 'Stage Mapping'

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Greetings,

LSP does a great job at mapping pixels/elements to physical X/Y display positions based on the Display Preview layout. Unfortunately the sequencer performance of LSP is terrible so I will be jumping ship if I can!

I mostly just want to be able to do display wide colour fades.

Can Vixen3 do this yet? Or can HLS?

battle79

Full time elf
Vixen 3 three most certainly can do this, HLS I believe can do this (someone with more experience can probably confirm).

Only thing holding a lot of people back from vixen is that you can't as yet export to any other format. This functionality should be added soon this year.

Regards,
Rowan

Habbosrus

Back again
HLS has the ability to treat your whole display as a PixelPlane once set up. It doesn't do this from the X/Y display positions at this point in time. Joe has suggested he will implement this feature in a future release. At the moment, set up consists of mapping your setup on a grid first and assigning pixels. I haven't done this yet, but I plan to have a go at it at some stage. Maybe if I hold off a little longer Joe will work his magic and implement it in a release soon. Hint, hint Joe if you're watching ;)

davrus

Silent elf
I think I saw some discussion about Vixen 3 also implementing Z coordinates, so you will be able to wipe front to back, or from Back to Front.
Currently you get the same effect, if you do a wipe Top to Bottom, if you have placed the front items so that they are "lower" in the preview, than what is behind them

arw01

Full time elf
Driver said:
Greetings,

LSP does a great job at mapping pixels/elements to physical X/Y display positions based on the Display Preview layout. Unfortunately the sequencer performance of LSP is terrible so I will be jumping ship if I can!
\

What kind of terrible performance are you seeing? did all my sequencing on a 2gig i7 laptop last year and had not issues once I understood the software and it's quirks. Rendering complex macros can certainly take a while.

I still hold hope the v3 rewrite will be good enough to use and out early enough to use. There is some pessimism in the community and frustration at the lack of communication.

Soon going to start drawing my extra elements I have purchased which will basically double my node count.

Alan

twooly

New elf
I'm a LSP user myself and can't wait for the v3 rewrite also. But due to the lack of any communication on how its going I've explored a couple other sequencers.

HLS for some reason I just couldn't wrap my head around how to actually use it so I threw that one out.

Tried Vixen 3 and to be honest I like it I just ran into one problem that I could never solve with doing wipes across the house which is an easy thing to due in LSP. You can see that conversation over at DIYC http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?31655-Wipe-just-a-little-off-Up-Down. The other thing thats keeping me from committing to Vixen 3 is the lack of export to different files (FPP or DLA Conductor). I'm not throwing Vixen out just yet but for right now Ill probably just stick to LSP since its what I know.

xLights/Nutcracker - I just don't consider this a sequencer, great tool just not an overall sequencer. More of just a tool to create effects to put in a sequencer.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Well after much playing around in Vixen3 & and seeing a great demo of it at the Sydney mini; I now have this working!

I previously hadn't understood how each display element also required the 'location' property assigned to the pixels after they'd been drawn on the Display Preview.

Habbosrus said:
HLS has the ability to treat your whole display as a PixelPlane once set up. It doesn't do this from the X/Y display positions at this point in time. Joe has suggested he will implement this feature in a future release. At the moment, set up consists of mapping your setup on a grid first and assigning pixels. I haven't done this yet, but I plan to have a go at it at some stage. Maybe if I hold off a little longer Joe will work his magic and implement it in a release soon. Hint, hint Joe if you're watching ;)

That's what I've done in LSP - any "Z axis" strings have just been placed diagonally and/or slightly offset in height. Perhaps not technically perfect, but does the trick.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
arw01 said:
What kind of terrible performance are you seeing? did all my sequencing on a 2gig i7 laptop last year and had not issues once I understood the software and it's quirks. Rendering complex macros can certainly take a while.

I7-3770K, 16GB RAM, SSD drive here, with ~2200 elements (~6500 DMX)

LSP 2.8 was so painful at scrolling & zooming through the grid. I have a few macros & transitions that probably didn't help but that's no excuse.

Then stupid stuff on top of that like the scroll bars/zoom out of wack and not being able to scroll right - this is silly BS that shouldn't make it past a beta release.

Looking at the DLL files supplied with LSP, it looks like the main grid is a third-party spreadsheet UI control. My guess is that it's all slow GDI graphics and probably only ever designed for business/excel style stuff; not 20 billion columns like we'd do. </guess-work>

As for the complex macros, well in Vixen3, you can do a Nutcracker effect then hit play - and it's instant output to lights. There's none of this rubbish about needing to optimise the sequence. Then make another edit to that effect, and replay with output in under 10seconds. LSP would still be sitting there trying to render & optimise.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I've been happily sequencing with Vixen 3 today, the wipe is such a handy tool, either at a single element or the whole show.

I have to say this is what software should be it actually makes it easier to do the job, I don't think I'll be going back to LSP.

Kev

Attachments

• Vixen - Wipe.JPG
    Vixen - Wipe.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 21