What paint to use on Coro.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
As the title says.

Next year I would like to make some coro cut outs (like santa, snowman etc) and other stuff that will be exposed to the QLD heat and storms. What type of paint is best used that will stick and last? Can you just use any Dulux interior for example or is metal paint better?

Thanks in advanced.

Jay.S

Full time elf
Your best bet is spray paint. Preferably automotive paint. When I airbrush on plastic, I use an adhesion promoter. If your in the US look for Bulldog, in Australia look in Bunnings for Plastikote plastic primer. When painting plastic surface prep is your most important step. Scuff the surface with 600 grit sand paper, use an adhesion promoter, then a base coat (automotive grade) scuff again with 600 to 800 grit and tack it with a t-shirt rag. Finally paint...

Just remember though that coro is fairly flexible, so you have to expect peeling/flaking..

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I got a heap of images printed onto coro. It's been a loooooong time but I think they were something like $35 each. They included the coro that the stickers were attached to and varied from about 600mm x 600mm to 1200 x 600
You can see some of them on http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Xmas2011-1.jpg
In that pic they were lit up with 20W halogen lights. In latter years I lit them up with 500mm rigid RGB strip.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks guys, I didn't think it would be that cheap although at first when Alan said $35 I thought it was bit much. I did a search and found https://www.easysigns.com.au/products/details/signflute-corrugated-plastic-signs discount until end of Dec. For 6 signs (all different designs) 1200mm x 600mm is only $24 each delivered if you supply the design. This will save me lots of time and look better.

Cheers