what strip to use for matrix

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Im looking to build a matrix for the roof for this years display . 2.5metres wide and not sure how high yet ? I really like using weatherproof strips found can repair join etc etc relatively easy and they are already straight evenly spaced etc . My conundrum is as trying to keep to 12 v and have mainly used ws2811 30 per metre strips for everything and has been good but pixels are controlled in groups of three and for matrix feel individual pixel control will produce better image quality ! My questions are is the 12v 60 per metre 2811 strip individually controlled each pixel ! Or shall I use a different strip ! As really want too keep too 12v and not really interested in going 5v if can avoid , , because I will definitely blow something up ! And so far touch wood everything has been great and always spare 12v stuff .also not interested in nodes don't make sense to buy strip material too align and house them . any feedback and advice as always is extremely appreciated as always thanks guys and gals

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Have you considered 12v INK1003 strip? Whilst you power it from 12v, it has built-in 5v dc-dc converters every metre for 30L/m strip or every 0.5 metres for 60L/m strip. So each led is individually controllable (no groups of 3).

Alternatively how about panels? Just see @darylc ;)

the grinch

Aha cool guys will check out . And yeah not mentally ready for panels ! Will be approx 15m too 20m from road plus approx 4 too 5 m from earth . Already built in my mind lol ! And will be falcon controlled

Kitman

Full time elf
I still have some of the ink strip that I got from Darylc at the last Mini I can bring along to Deblen's for you to look at.

i13

Dedicated elf
There are still some unknowns about where you can cut the INK strip. If this is a display item large enough to require its own power supply then going with 5V shouldn't be a problem.

Roosta

Full time elf

the grinch

Roosta said:
Dont be afraid of using the 12v 30/10..

I
Cheers roosta looks great mate

This is my new feature project for this year and dont get me wrong I have huge amount of 2811 30 pm strips running and absolutely too myself are user friendly can repair, join shorten extend etc etc for a reasonable price . Just for this project wanting too go that little step further without going the p panels not really my thing . Also looking similar size too your matrix looking too cut strips in half 2.5m width thx mate

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey mate,

Thanks.. yer i totally understand.. a matrix and mega tree make over with INK strip was on my maybe list but i think my budget for this yer is not likely to allow for it, probably make do for another year or 2..

Cheers