What type of wire for sending data?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Happy new year to everyone!

I have read so many many things about what types of wire people use and now I am confused.

Hypothetically, if I have a falcon f16v3 controller and I am just running data out to my pixels (power injection out at pixels), what type of wire do you guys suggest for this? Do you use 2 core or 3 core? Maybe basic electrical cable?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If it's data and ground only then security cable or cat5 cable is just about as cheap as you can go. If you are needing to run the Null Pixel Buffers as discussed on another thread then allowing 1 core for 5V or 12V power is good. Only 1 core should be used for data and all the rest of the cores for 0V/ground.

Dez

If it's data and ground only then security cable or cat5 cable is just about as cheap as you can go. If you are needing to run the Null Pixel Buffers as discussed on another thread then allowing 1 core for 5V or 12V power is good. Only 1 core should be used for data and all the rest of the cores for 0V/ground.

Thank you but I’m confused. Yes I would be using the null pixel buffers but from what you say these do not run on the data wire? I thought I only needed 2 wires, one for data, one for ground?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
with pixel buffers and your pixels if 2811 you will need 3 wires

data
+ve
-ve

I use 6 core cable for my cabling
1 wire for data
2 wires for +ve
2 wires for -ve

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thank you but I’m confused. Yes I would be using the null pixel buffers but from what you say these do not run on the data wire? I thought I only needed 2 wires, one for data, one for ground?
The nulls can be powered from either the controller or the pixel end. They need a few milliamps to run them so light duty wire is all that is required. You could, if you desired, just run 2 wires/conductors from the F16 to the Nulls and 3 wires from the Nulls to the pixels and power injection. Alternately you could run 3 wires from controller to Nulls and supply the Nulls with the power from the controller end and then 2 wires/conductors to the pixels and injection point.

Dez

with pixel buffers and your pixels if 2811 you will need 3 wires

data
+ve
-ve

I use 6 core cable for my cabling
1 wire for data
2 wires for +ve
2 wires for -ve

Ok thank you. Why 2 wires for ve?

Dez

The nulls can be powered from either the controller or the pixel end. They need a few milliamps to run them so light duty wire is all that is required. You could, if you desired, just run 2 wires/conductors from the F16 to the Nulls and 3 wires from the Nulls to the pixels and power injection. Alternately you could run 3 wires from controller to Nulls and supply the Nulls with the power from the controller end and then 2 wires/conductors to the pixels and injection point.

Thank you. I will look into getting some security cable