What we look forward to this time of year

mborg10

Michael Borg
I know lots of people out there are working very hard to get their displays together. Some people doing it with ease but most people running around yelling where did the time go and why won't this work.

This is just a little reminder of why we work so hard.

This is what I'm looking forward to this year.

I'm looking forward to standing out the front watching my lights with an ice cold beer and listening to the comments about my display. Comments like "anyone can do that if they know how, hey"

logandc99

Dedicated elf
That reminds me of a comment that brought a smile to my face from a teenager who, on the way out of the property having watched my light show along with my singing Christmas tree face sing the song, say disappointedly "oh I thought they had an actual tree singing"

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Things to look forward to over the next 9 weeks.
  • less then 4hrs sleep a night
  • constant worry that someone may sabotage your display
  • non stop " I wouldn't want your power bill"
On a plus side is all the thanks from the masses & the funny questions like "do you sit out here every night" of course I do, I didn't build this display so I could sit inside & look out the window at headlights all night :)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I've talked up my display for a couple of years, more so this year particularly on social media by documenting the progress. As a result I have many friends and work colleagues keen to see the final result and saying they would swing by our place to see it done.

So yes, the pressure is on to deliver and have it all go to plan (I'm sure Murphy's Law will have something to say about that) but at the end of the day, I know I feel all warm & fuzzy driving around my local area and seeing displays myself with my family. So it's good to know that I will hopefully instil that same feeling to those who swing by my display this year.

Couple this with collecting for a charity, something I've never done before, I figure my yearly good deed can be ticked off the list too :)

MarcD

Full time elf
I look forward to the constant struggle as parents try to convince their kids they have to get out of the sleigh. I look forward to visitors who return every year and comment on new features. I look forward to people who come back every single night because their kids insist on seeing "the best lights ever" (they're not).

But most of all, I look forward to people telling us what a great job we've done. That makes the time, effort and cost all worthwhile.

cdjazman

Full time elf
I look forward to the smiles on kids faces.

Last year I got a Xmas card in the letterbox and it was from a local child that said thank you and that they thought my lights were best in the area.

Oh and this hobby keeps me out from under the bosses feet......lol

scamper

Dedicated elf
cdjazman said:
Oh and this hobby keeps me out from under the bosses feet......lol

Ha ha, love it. Mine always manages to limp up to the shed even with a stuffed knee just to see what I am doing..

I am looking forward to having my fm transmitter work for more than 2 nights this year.

And seeing a few more visitors smiling faces.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Having all the extra room in the garage where your display normally is and you think I can fill it with lots of stuff. Oh and cashews I really look forward to cashews at Christmas.