Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Both (different for 5v, 12v etc)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
So since my entire display needs to be replaced, now is as good a time as any to consider if there is any benefit to changing from Ray Wu to Xconnect? While I do have a number of unused Ray Wu pigtails still, considering I'm about to purchase all new pixels and controllers, it's not going to be that difficult to change over to Xconnect.

What is the benefit of using Xconnect?

Do people use different connectors for different volatges?

Katekate

Senior elf
raywu and xconnect are basically the same thing, just which side has which thread on it is different.

so they perform the same.

Just comes down to what the vendor you want to use sells. They all seem to sell xconnect.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
All I have is Ray Wu.
They seem to work alright for being a connector passing power/data through..... I did have one water ingress issue with a connector in 2021 (even with the o-ring).
Does the xConnect have better for water resistance?

But I don't think I can vote because I haven't compared to know if I 'prefer' one to another.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
It's not a bad idea to have different connectors for different voltages, harder to make incorrect connections.
Ray wu exclusively here just cos.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
yep Ray wu or xconnect are essentially the same....
for actual pigtails try and ensure you get copper wire and 0.75mm sizing.

Ray's 3/4 pin plugs and sockets appear to be normal M16 connectors https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...%3B-1%40salePrice%3BAUD%3Brecommend-recommend

I have some of these on order and will see if the interconnect when they arrive, but based on the measurements is seem like they will
Cheers
Phil

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have been using the Ray Wu pigtails ever since I started with RGB leds and have never had an issue with them electrically. The issue that I have is that there is no design standard (like that would matter) for the wiring pinout to wire colour. This can mean that from batch to batch you may have different colours going to different pins. This is especially applicable when I have some pigtails that have been in use for 10 years and others that are current season. I always check that the pins in use go out to the right place regardless of colour. With Xconnect there has at least only been 1 wiring configuration the whole time.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I have been using the Ray Wu pigtails ever since I started with RGB leds and have never had an issue with them electrically.
I've also used them since the beginning, not only of pixels but of Ray as a vendor, i'm sure he still doesn't make them just buys in from the cheapest supplier.
The two pin ones used to be 0.75mm wire and blue/brown then they moved to 0.5mm red/black wire and some may even be 0.3mm wire
The three pin ones seem to have stayed 0.75mm wire
The four pin ones have always been 0.5mm wire
This is actually in line with the current vendors supplying M16/GX13 series connectors generally
It seems that Ray is also sourcing CCA wire versions no doubt to save a few cents due to the "what is the cheapest price BS"
The benefit if these are just standard M16 style is we can go to vendors offering real specs and copper wire.
The issue that I have is that there is no design standard (like that would matter) for the wiring pinout to wire colour. This can mean that from batch to batch you may have different colours going to different pins.
Based on the vendor they are sourced from it's not surprising and a trap for new players looking at older diagrams.
This is especially applicable when I have some pigtails that have been in use for 10 years and others that are current season. I always check that the pins in use go out to the right place regardless of colour.
Yep so do I and I have some interesting cross reference charts now.... this used to be the case with 4 wire pixels as well.
With Xconnect there has at least only been 1 wiring configuration the whole time.
No doubt a single supplier result.

Cheers
Phil

Reactions: AAH

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I use JST connectors with no issues.
Outdoors in rain/snow/sun with zero added protection to the connectors?
Admittedly I have some on props that are against a wall and only with string connections, not to/from the prop. They only have around 5-10% chance of weather getting on them, it was the risk I was willing to take.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I use JST connectors with no issues.
I used JST's on my 5v stuff this year.
That was pixel seed lights on my mega tree and mini trees.
I covered each connector with electrical tape to try and keep the water off/out.

It did alright outside.... but I want to change. It did get water inside that caused flickering issues.

Martin Mueller

Light Addicted and proud of it.
Generous elf
I put some Corrosion-X gun oil on the contacts and yes they sit open and get wet. no water related failures. They do have a finite number of insertions.

Martin

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I put some Corrosion-X gun oil on the contacts and yes they sit open and get wet. no water related failures. They do have a finite number of insertions.

Martin
OK that could make a difference then, as I've seen people use them without any added protection and its not lasted long. For indoor props though it would be fine

Martin Mueller

Generous elf
My worst case is a connection that was wrapped in a plastic bag to keep water out. It allowed water in and condensation to build. There is a little pool of water at the bottom of the bag. Just to see what would happen, I have left the bag with water and my connector in it for four years so far and so far there is no visible corrosion and the lights work fine.

Martin Mueller

Generous elf
There is a down side to using the oil. It gets on your hands (unless you use rubber gloves). Whether using gloves or not, it finds its way all over you. It stings when you get it in your eyes and does not taste good if you did not wash well enough. Smell is not too bad, kind of sweet. Oh, I lose the container cap all the time. It keeps falling to the ground when I am on a ladder. I have taken to pre applying it and then installing the wires but then the stuff is all over the wires (and then me). I suppose nothing is perfect. Think of glitter on steroids.