Where best to manage brightness

Ktag

Apprentice elf
Just a quick query on where is the best place to manage the brightness setting - FPP, controller, xlights ???

Lachi3

New elf
I normally control the brightness through FPP using the fpp brightness extension, it works really well for controlling the brightness while the lights are running

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
All of the above. Depends what you want to use it for.

Controller - in case you want to limit a prop due to power requirements
FPP - For the above reason that Lachi mentioned, dynamic overall show brightness
xLights - Done in your sequences to high-light and low-light certain props based on the effect you're going for.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Max brightness you want any prop to be should be set in xLights layout because xLights then configures the controller that upon controller upload. (Unless you do not have a supported controller).
This is the absolute max it will ever be. For reasons like limiting power consumption.
1650341221254.png
You could set it in the controller, but as soon as you change a setting in xLights that would be wiped out again.

Like @Lachi3 , I use the FPP brightness plugin.
It's not the same as the brightness settings in FPP, this plugin is to change the brightness while the show is running.
The plugin can give additional functionality like scheduling the brightness change over the night. Example at my display is everything starts at 100% while it is dusk and dims down to 40% by dark.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I do it on the controller port configuration 100% of the time. Seems the safest to me even with majority of display power injected and built for 100% intensity

abundy

Full time elf
I asked this question at one of the mini's and the consensus was to do it at the controller end.
It will be a cumulative result if you control at both...ie xlights at 50% and controller at 50% would mean a result of 50% of 50%.
I also fund it easier at the controller end to make changes, as you wont need to re-render in xlights.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
It will be a cumulative result if you control at both...ie xlights at 50% and controller at 50% would mean a result of 50% of 50%.
I also fund it easier at the controller end to make changes, as you wont need to re-render in xlights.
If you're 're-rendering' the lights it means you have done it at the sequence level and not a settings level.

Doing it in xLights layout then gets passed onto the controller during 'controller upload'.

If you set it in the controller (like it used to be done), then every time you use this 'upload' button, to apply new configuration, it will change the brightness xLights has been told in the layout tab.
1650445486203.png

It's perfectly fine to use the controller's interface to change the brightness.
But beware that will be overwritten if you upload a new configuration from xLights (e.g. you changed a prop to another port).