Where to run power for rooftop lights

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
So most of my lighting plans are pretty modest the next season or two. But I was looking to wire up some strips in a channel along the gutters of the house - probably just running off an esp32 running wled for the first little while (I'm experienced enough with these - using them for the occasional indoor/decorative project).

Where I'm a little bit unsure -- we're adding a second story at the moment. So the walls are currently empty and I have an electrician adding GPOs. For running a simple controller for lights on the house/roof -- where should I get the power? I was wondering about getting a GPO in the attic or an outdoor rated one under an eave. Is that worthwhile - or should I put it somewhere else?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day mate, you're only thinking of installing one!?
You've got the golden opportunity to install as many as you may need/want for the future. Think about all possibilities for which you may need gpo's not just for Xmas lights. Think about running data cable for a home network, home automation? Check out SuperhouseTV on YouTube as he installed a lot of extra cables while his house was being renovated.
While it's all open it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do it now rather than later.
Cheers Bazzy

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
I'm running a ton of internal cat6a. Not quite superhouse level though.
I'm certainly running a bunch of extra indoor power points, smart switches, etc. I *think* I've got most of those covered. (power on basically every wall, in most of the cupboards, etc).

I guess what I was thinking was -- for things like rooftop lighting -- *where* should the extra power be located?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I'm running a ton of internal cat6a. Not quite superhouse level though.
I'm certainly running a bunch of extra indoor power points, smart switches, etc. I *think* I've got most of those covered. (power on basically every wall, in most of the cupboards, etc).

I guess what I was thinking was -- for things like rooftop lighting -- *where* should the extra power be located?
:thumbsup: "where" will most likely be dictated by how easy it will be to plug anything into them being up top of the 2nd story. If you put a GPO inside the attic then how easy will you be able to thread the plug from your appliance back inside?
If it were me I'd put weatherproof ones on a side wall right up under the soffit and back from the corner 300mm+(1foot). The GPO would be easily accessible via an extension/step ladder.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.