Where to source a f16v4 controller

teamdesousa19

New elf
I seem to be having difficulties in trying to source and purchase a f16v4 controller. This is my first bit of hardware that i will be purchasing to start my pixel show design and setup for 2023, but cant find any for sale.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Keep checking the Australian pixel controller website https://aus.pixelcontroller.com/ - stock at the moment is pretty rubbish due to worldwide shortages, but stock does appear from time to time in batches.
There are a number of other options - the older F48 is available, along with the white smart receivers, or various FPP based controllers like the Hanson HE123 or Kulp boards.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Sorry, shouldn't have laughed.

Maybe people tired of the hobby will put them on the used market after Xmas.
Or, it seems the F48v4-NS has been redesigned with available parts... maybe F16 will follow?

But really, while Falcon is the popular one, I run my show with what I could easily get... BBB and PB capes (Kulp, WB1616) and HinksPix. Seems to work fine, and I here similar things from users of other controllers and capes.

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
I have been trying to get aF16v4 since January, I managed to pick up a few bits (differential board & smart receivers) but not an actual controller.

Like Merryoncherry, I knew I had to get something, so I purchased some ESP32 boards 8 & 6 port and built my own controllers, I also luckily had a Pixcon16 that I purchased back in 2019 and had not really done anything with.

I am sure that the guys at PixelController will get them built and out as fast as they can once/if they ever receive the chips. However, maybe buying and building a controller that you could use as a test bed and also maybe have as a spare or additional controller if needed, might not be a good way to go? it certainly helped me learn a lot about pixels and programming/running the software.

Just my 10cents worth...

HertzSwift

Apprentice elf
I was on the aus.pixelcontroller website weeky for about 10 months last year, I was trying to get a backup F16V3 or V4, I must of been very unlucky as every time they were always out of stock. Fortunately I was able to get a new one, second hand off this very website. Keep an eye out on the for sale section, they do pop up several times a year. Good Luck!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
They appeared for a while in June. Thats when I ordered one. They were then delivered in August.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
The F48V4-NS (search in the featured section of the website) is available to buy (shipping in 2-3weeks is shown). Though none of the 4 string differential smart receivers are in stock at the moment. (i bought the last 2!) But you can't use the F48 without the receivers, but they seem to come in stock more often than the controllers.

I did the math and my setup worked better with the F48 over the F16. To get the right number of channels i needed the expansion board plus smart receivers.

This may change next year as i seem to be getting close to maxing out the F48 with 36 channels already used!

darylc

404 darylc not found
Receivers will be readily available throughout the year just out of stock right now. F48v4-NS's are in much shorter supply so if you think you want one, I'd grab them while they are in the store.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Note that if you just want pixel outputs, and won't ever chain receivers, buying regular dumb receivers rather than the smart ones is much more economical and less likely to run into stock issues.

Buying smart receivers to run them in dumb mode only is just wasting money.

dannyp

Full time elf
Note that if you just want pixel outputs, and won't ever chain receivers, buying regular dumb receivers rather than the smart ones is much more economical and less likely to run into stock issues.

Buying smart receivers to run them in dumb mode only is just wasting money.
Thanks for the advice. Just so I understand if I had dumb receivers and used them with the f48 controller, it simply means I would need 12 cat 5 cables running out to 12 dumb receivers with each receiver having 4 outputs?
I also had a look at the pixel controller website and all I can see are smart receivers. Can you point me to where I can get some info on dumb receivers?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
That's correct. This would give you the 48 pixel outputs.

Basically you'd have the same with smart receivers - but then you could go from receiver 1A to 1B to 1C etc.
Each receiver shares the total number of channels available for that particular output - so it doesn't create extra channels, just distributes them differently.

A dumb receiver just converts the RS422 differential signal back into a standard TTL pixel output - there is no smarts to them, no processor, etc.
Here is an example of an Aussie made one - https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/he123-rx2/ - $22 AUD vs $30 USD of the falcon smart receiver, so half the price when considering the exchange rate.